Re: Serger for students

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2010
      My personal recommendation? If you're the one teaching the class, and you've got a serger already that you're familiar with and have found satisfactory, stick with that brand (and, preferably, model). I've had to work with a few different types of sergers--only extensively with the Singer we have at work--but I've found them to be a somewhat fickle and temperamental creature, and if you are experienced in dealing with how yours works (or you've found that it's not very much trouble), then I'd stick with it.

      Now, if you're buying one that someone else is going to have to teach and deal with, THEN I'd look at shopping around. However, if I had thought, at the time I got ours for work, that I was actually going to wind up using it as long as I have, I would have bought something else...I don't have any serious complaints about the Singer that we got, but we have a Husqvarna and a White sewing machine (both actually made by the same company) and they've both proven to be far less trouble than the serger.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Janice Kledzik <jkledzik@...> wrote:

      > Our high school is finishing its 2nd year of a new Theatre Tech
      > Program and they are now ready to buy a serger. They have asked my
      > opinion but the only one I am familiar with is the Huskylock 905 which
      > I own. I have been brining my machine to school for two years and
      > have had only had 1 repair in that time so I am happy with it. But
      > I'd like to know if there are any others out there that are good for
      > student use and reliable. They are willing to spend up to $600 for a
      > machine.

    • Janice Kledzik
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2010
        Thanks for all your thoughts. I am the one who will be teaching the
        kids how to use the machines and your reasoning makes a lot of sense.
        You are right about fickle machines and since I've taken the time to
        learn how to thread mine in under 2 minutes why change!
      • Hansen, Lia
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2010
          I've had good luck with Janome sergers-I think they are the manufacturer
          for the Kenmore line. We get them serviced every year and they are
          holding up well to moderate student use.

          Lia

          Lia M. Hansen, M.F.A.

          Costume Designer/Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts

          Vanguard University of Southern California

          55 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626

          lia.hansen@...

          949-246-6585--cell

          714-662-5229--fax

          714--556-3610 xt 2955--office

          Matt 6:1-8

        • Janice Kledzik
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2010
            Thanks. I looked it up and there is as store in northern Cincinnati
            that sells them. Its about 30 minutes away so I might drive there and
            see how they compare. I see that they are a lot less pricey than the
            others. I just have to consider where I can get them repaired if I
            buy one.