Re: Foam backed fabric?

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2010
      There are two materials I've used that match this description. One is headliner material, as has been mentioned by others here...typically, it's got a kind of velour/fuzzy finish, and the foam is fairly thin (about 1/8" thick), but it's generally available in a wide variety of colors. The Hancocks store nearest my apartment has it in stock, or did last time I was in the market for the stuff.

      The other is called 'scrim foam'. I've only ever been able to get it from upholstery suppliers, but it's available in various thicknesses. It has a lightweight fabric bonded to one side, intended to prevent thread from ripping through the back of the foam when you are stitching it to other material (on the non-fabric side). Very useful stuff when you're trying to give something a 'quilted finish' but you need a little more rigidity than you'd get using batting.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Spork" <vbellwether@...> wrote:

      > Hi all-
      >
      > I'm hitting various costumer's lists in hopes that someone can help me find foam backed fabric -- the kind of fabric used by all of the cheap costume manufacturers. <edited for brevity...>
    • Hansen, Lia
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2010
        I think you might be looking for what they use for headliners in cars.
        Joann's has some basic colors and you might try an auto/boat foam/fabric
        store for a larger selection of colors.

        Lia

        Lia M. Hansen, M.F.A.

        Costume Designer/Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts

        Vanguard University of Southern California

        55 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626

        lia.hansen@...

        949-246-6585--cell

        714-662-5229--fax

        714--556-3610 xt 2955--office

        Matt 6:1-8

      • Vanessa Bonet
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2010
          Thanks, everyone, for your help. I really appreciate it. :)