Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: rust stains

  • Carolyn Runnells
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2010
      In the Reno area where I live, we have iron in our water, a product that we
      can buy around here to get the rust out of sinks, bathtubs etc is *Wink,
      Rust Out*. They have changed the formula so its not as harsh as it used to
      be. It now says on the bottle "safe for colorfast fabrics and carpet". I
      actually used the old formula on a vintage cotton lawn dress. It was so
      badly stained with rust and who knows what else. I had tried other ways to
      get the stains out. At the point I decided to use Wink it was either put the
      dress in a drawer to eventually disengrate or cut it apart and use as a
      pattern. I thought why not try Wink (it works on my toilets) and see what
      happens if it didn't work I could still put in the drawer or cut it apart.
      It worked beautifully. I wear the dress to various events. Not sure about
      the new formula although it did take rust out of my son's shorts last week.
      Good Luck with whatever you try.
      Carolyn

      Does anyone have a miracle cure for getting rust stains out of fabrics?
      > Helosise and other stain removal guides say lemon juice and salt, and
      sunshine, but I am afraid to use them on delicate vintage clothes. Does
      anyone know of any rust-removal products, and have you used them
      sucessfully?
      > Thanks
      > Mary

    • Debra Jackson-Dechert
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2010
        Mary, I live  in the country and am on a well system that sometimes leaves stains from the rust on our clothes. I use a product called Wink. It comes in a brown bottle and I am able to buy it  in the grocery store.

        Good Luck

        Debra Jackson-Dechert

        A friend of mine has had mostly good luck with Oxy-Clean on stuff she sells as pre-owned at Renn Faires. It did wonders on some white cotton duck I had been wearing under chain maille for SCA combat - but it wasn't 100% and duck is a HEAVY fabric somewhere between denim and canvas.

        Silvester