Re: rust stains

  • Silvester
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2010
      A friend of mine has had mostly good luck with Oxy-Clean on stuff she sells as pre-owned at Renn Faires. It did wonders on some white cotton duck I had been wearing under chain maille for SCA combat - but it wasn't 100% and duck is a HEAVY fabric somewhere between denim and canvas.

      Silvester

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "marymary614" <marymary614@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have a miracle cure for getting rust stains out of fabrics?
      > Helosise and other stain removal guides say lemon juice and salt, and sunshine, but I am afraid to use them on delicate vintage clothes. Does anyone know of any rust-removal products, and have you used them sucessfully?
      > Thanks
      > Mary

    • Carolyn Runnells
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2010
        In the Reno area where I live, we have iron in our water, a product that we
        can buy around here to get the rust out of sinks, bathtubs etc is *Wink,
        Rust Out*. They have changed the formula so its not as harsh as it used to
        be. It now says on the bottle "safe for colorfast fabrics and carpet". I
        actually used the old formula on a vintage cotton lawn dress. It was so
        badly stained with rust and who knows what else. I had tried other ways to
        get the stains out. At the point I decided to use Wink it was either put the
        dress in a drawer to eventually disengrate or cut it apart and use as a
        pattern. I thought why not try Wink (it works on my toilets) and see what
        happens if it didn't work I could still put in the drawer or cut it apart.
        It worked beautifully. I wear the dress to various events. Not sure about
        the new formula although it did take rust out of my son's shorts last week.
        Good Luck with whatever you try.
        Carolyn

        Does anyone have a miracle cure for getting rust stains out of fabrics?
        > Helosise and other stain removal guides say lemon juice and salt, and
        sunshine, but I am afraid to use them on delicate vintage clothes. Does
        anyone know of any rust-removal products, and have you used them
        sucessfully?
        > Thanks
        > Mary

      • Debra Jackson-Dechert
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2010
          Mary, I live  in the country and am on a well system that sometimes leaves stains from the rust on our clothes. I use a product called Wink. It comes in a brown bottle and I am able to buy it  in the grocery store.

          Good Luck

          Debra Jackson-Dechert