Foam backed fabric?

  • Spork
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19 10:58 PM
      Hi all-

      I'm hitting various costumer's lists in hopes that someone can help me find foam backed fabric -- the kind of fabric used by all of the cheap costume manufacturers. I currently have a ketchup costume, a banana costume, and a penguin costume all made of this stuff, so I figured it would be easy to find, but all of my searches are coming up empty. In addition to internet searches, I have scoured the fabric district here in Los Angeles and have found nothing. Perhaps this particular fabric has a name? Can anybody point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks!

      -Vanessa
    • cloakmakerusa
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2010
        It's called a "bpnded" fabric, and when needed, one sends it out to have it done, for me, in NY.

        Sometimes can be found at various Jobbers. Did you try Ragfinders in LA area?

        Dina

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Spork" <vbellwether@...> wrote:

        > Hi all-
        >
        > I'm hitting various costumer's lists in hopes that someone can help me find foam backed fabric -- the kind of fabric used by all of the cheap costume manufacturers. I currently have a ketchup costume, a banana costume, and a penguin costume all made of this stuff, so I figured it would be easy to find, but all of my searches are coming up empty. In addition to internet searches, I have scoured the fabric district here in Los Angeles and have found nothing. Perhaps this particular fabric has a name? Can anybody point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated.
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Vanessa

      • tjchatham
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2010
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Spork" <vbellwether@...> wrote:

          > Hi all-
          >
          > I'm hitting various costumer's lists in hopes that someone can help me find foam backed fabric -- the kind of fabric used by all of the cheap costume manufacturers. I currently have a ketchup costume, a banana costume, and a penguin costume all made of this stuff, so I figured it would be easy to find, but all of my searches are coming up empty. In addition to internet searches, I have scoured the fabric district here in Los Angeles and have found nothing. Perhaps this particular fabric has a name? Can anybody point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated.
          > Thanks!
          >
          > -Vanessa

          Is it the foam backed fabric like the "headliner" stuff used in the ceilings of pickups and such? Try asking for "headliner" at Hancock fabrics or look for it online
          http://www.perfectfit.com/15994/154077/Upholstery-Fabrics/Automotive-Foam-Back-Cloth-Headlining-60.html
          It usually comes in a variety of colors, is 54"-60" wide and not too expensive... $10-12 yd.
          Tess
        • MaryB
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2010
            Have you tried checking places that specialize in foam or upholstery supplies? I have a friend who has business that remakes boat interiors, etc, and she often uses a thin sheet foam that has material on both sides. Sometimes she sews material to it, sometimes she glues it with spray glue.

            HTH,
            ~mary

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Spork" <vbellwether@...> wrote:

            > Hi all-
            >
            > I'm hitting various costumer's lists in hopes that someone can help me find foam backed fabric -- the kind of fabric used by all of the cheap costume manufacturers. I currently have a ketchup costume, a banana costume, and a penguin costume all made of this stuff, so I figured it would be easy to find, but all of my searches are coming up empty. In addition to internet searches, I have scoured the fabric district here in Los Angeles and have found nothing. Perhaps this particular fabric has a name? Can anybody point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated.
            > Thanks!
            >
            > -Vanessa

          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2010
              Is this headliner fabric like they put in cars/

              Sylvia Rognstad
              Costume/clothing design & construction
              Alterations & home dec
              http://www.ezzyworld.com

              On Apr 19, 2010, at 11:58 PM, Spork wrote:

              > Hi all-
              >
              > I'm hitting various costumer's lists in hopes that someone can help
              > me find foam backed fabric -- the kind of fabric used by all of the
              > cheap costume manufacturers. I currently have a ketchup costume, a
              > banana costume, and a penguin costume all made of this stuff, so I
              > figured it would be easy to find, but all of my searches are coming
              > up empty. In addition to internet searches, I have scoured the
              > fabric district here in Los Angeles and have found nothing. Perhaps
              > this particular fabric has a name? Can anybody point me in the
              > right direction? Any help would be appreciated.
              > Thanks!
              >
              > -Vanessa

            • GCKidd
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2010
                There are two materials I've used that match this description. One is headliner material, as has been mentioned by others here...typically, it's got a kind of velour/fuzzy finish, and the foam is fairly thin (about 1/8" thick), but it's generally available in a wide variety of colors. The Hancocks store nearest my apartment has it in stock, or did last time I was in the market for the stuff.

                The other is called 'scrim foam'. I've only ever been able to get it from upholstery suppliers, but it's available in various thicknesses. It has a lightweight fabric bonded to one side, intended to prevent thread from ripping through the back of the foam when you are stitching it to other material (on the non-fabric side). Very useful stuff when you're trying to give something a 'quilted finish' but you need a little more rigidity than you'd get using batting.

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Spork" <vbellwether@...> wrote:

                > Hi all-
                >
                > I'm hitting various costumer's lists in hopes that someone can help me find foam backed fabric -- the kind of fabric used by all of the cheap costume manufacturers. <edited for brevity...>
              • Hansen, Lia
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2010
                  I think you might be looking for what they use for headliners in cars.
                  Joann's has some basic colors and you might try an auto/boat foam/fabric
                  store for a larger selection of colors.

                  Lia

                  Lia M. Hansen, M.F.A.

                  Costume Designer/Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts

                  Vanguard University of Southern California

                  55 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626

                  lia.hansen@...

                  949-246-6585--cell

                  714-662-5229--fax

                  714--556-3610 xt 2955--office

                  Matt 6:1-8

                • Vanessa Bonet
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 7, 2010
                    Thanks, everyone, for your help. I really appreciate it. :)