rust stains

  • marymary614
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2010
      Does anyone have a miracle cure for getting rust stains out of fabrics?
      Helosise and other stain removal guides say lemon juice and salt, and sunshine, but I am afraid to use them on delicate vintage clothes. Does anyone know of any rust-removal products, and have you used them sucessfully?
      Thanks
      Mary
    • Silvester
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2010
        A friend of mine has had mostly good luck with Oxy-Clean on stuff she sells as pre-owned at Renn Faires. It did wonders on some white cotton duck I had been wearing under chain maille for SCA combat - but it wasn't 100% and duck is a HEAVY fabric somewhere between denim and canvas.

        Silvester

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "marymary614" <marymary614@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have a miracle cure for getting rust stains out of fabrics?
        > Helosise and other stain removal guides say lemon juice and salt, and sunshine, but I am afraid to use them on delicate vintage clothes. Does anyone know of any rust-removal products, and have you used them sucessfully?
        > Thanks
        > Mary

      • Carolyn Runnells
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2010
          In the Reno area where I live, we have iron in our water, a product that we
          can buy around here to get the rust out of sinks, bathtubs etc is *Wink,
          Rust Out*. They have changed the formula so its not as harsh as it used to
          be. It now says on the bottle "safe for colorfast fabrics and carpet". I
          actually used the old formula on a vintage cotton lawn dress. It was so
          badly stained with rust and who knows what else. I had tried other ways to
          get the stains out. At the point I decided to use Wink it was either put the
          dress in a drawer to eventually disengrate or cut it apart and use as a
          pattern. I thought why not try Wink (it works on my toilets) and see what
          happens if it didn't work I could still put in the drawer or cut it apart.
          It worked beautifully. I wear the dress to various events. Not sure about
          the new formula although it did take rust out of my son's shorts last week.
          Good Luck with whatever you try.
          Carolyn

          Does anyone have a miracle cure for getting rust stains out of fabrics?
          > Helosise and other stain removal guides say lemon juice and salt, and
          sunshine, but I am afraid to use them on delicate vintage clothes. Does
          anyone know of any rust-removal products, and have you used them
          sucessfully?
          > Thanks
          > Mary

        • Debra Jackson-Dechert
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2010
            Mary, I live  in the country and am on a well system that sometimes leaves stains from the rust on our clothes. I use a product called Wink. It comes in a brown bottle and I am able to buy it  in the grocery store.

            Good Luck

            Debra Jackson-Dechert