The disintegrating boa continues

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2010
      I shook the boa out of the packaging and 17 feathers came off. Every time I moved it, more feathers came off. I took it outside and shook it over the porch railing. There was a vast shower of feathers; my cats were delighted. This is a NEW boa, dyed black, made just for our production. I took it to the theatre. The actress merely wears it over her shoulders. No choreography to speak of. So many feathers came off during dress Tech that we had to stop and sweep up! I paid $50 for this thing and I'm realy put out!!!
    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18, 2010
        Please let us know where you got it so we don't order from them.This is not
        normal at all.

      • retshopbuyer@charter.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 18, 2010
          call the company and talk to them about this problem-
          they may not realize that they have a problem with this boa-
          maybe they get it from another manufacturer-

          retshopbuyer

          ---- catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:
          > I shook the boa out of the packaging and 17 feathers came off. Every time I moved it, more feathers came off. I took it outside and shook it over the porch railing. There was a vast shower of feathers; my cats were delighted. This is a NEW boa, dyed black, made just for our production. I took it to the theatre. The actress merely wears it over her shoulders. No choreography to speak of. So many feathers came off during dress Tech that we had to stop and sweep up! I paid $50 for this thing and I'm realy put out!!!

        • GCKidd
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2010
            Yeah...the 17 feathers from the initial shake doesn't surprise me...but that is the ONLY part of that description that sounds anywhere vaguely normal. Definitely contact the company that you got it from...they may have gotten it from another supplier and should be informed if it's not up to standards. And if not, and it's their product, then they should be made aware that they aren't providing a decent product (they may also--if they've got any semblance of customer service skills--offer to replace it with one that ISN'T falling to pieces...)

          • llsturts@greatlakes.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 21, 2010
              I've got an upcoming show where one actor needs to go blonde--think Draco
              Malfoy from Harry Potter. I'm not worried about the hair on his head, it's
              safely dealing with his beard that's got me concerned. My stylist is
              researching products too, but I thought to tap in to the collective
              knowledge here. Anyone know of, or can point me to products?

              Thanks,

              ~lisa.s

              --
              ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
            • Paula McWhirter-Buck
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 21, 2010
                are you looking for permanent, semi permanent, or temporary hair colors?
                where are you starting from (his natural hair color)?
                does he have any chemicals on his hair now (color, perm)?

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 21, 2010
                  I am a licensed hair dresser...
                  Here is your issue draco is almost white in color it is VERY LIGHT.
                  Yes you run the risk of burns with lightener aka bleach. You need to use a blue based bleach(it will say it has a blue toner) FOR and this is important ON THE SCALP application. IF not you can blister him.
                  The hair may also BE RESISTANT to bleaching.
                  You may need several go around at trying to lighten it is best to strand test how long you will need to lighten the hair.
                  Your biggest challenge is that facial Hair is a totally different monster. It is coarse and the shape of the cortex and medulla may make it resistant to color removal....http://www.top-hair-loss-remedy.com/images/hair-cross-section.gif
                  The reason lightening works is the cuticle layer of the hair is lifted or blown open and the bleach goes in to the cortex and removes for lack of a better term swiss cheese chunks of hair and color. (this is mainly why it can feel or look dry) My recommendation is to get CAT protein reconstructing treatment. So you fill the damage and replace the damaged areas with keratin (same stuff that makes nails strong).
                  I also recommend using a smoothing shampoo AND conditioner to keep the hair in control for the 1st weeks. Like matrix sleek look it will help smooth down the shaft.

                  The redken treatment is not supposed to be available but thru professionals use.. you might need to go to a salon for treatment???
                  If you need any further help. I am here for you!

                  T.
                  www.makingyourdreamcometrue.com
                  When all else fails wear a wig!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 21, 2010
                    I sent a long message earlier i am not sure if it got lost?

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 6, 2010
                      Yes, thanks.

                      I forwarded the information to my stylist--she knew exactly what you were
                      talking about and had taken most of it in to consideration, already. Since
                      I know nothing about doing hair, I always work with people who do. A
                      couple time a year I do a stage makeup lecture for the local beauty
                      college and have gotten a good relationship going with them. My stylists
                      might know what they are doing, but since I do not, I try to educate
                      myself so I can at least sound intelligent when I talk with them!

                      I saw the actor for the first time yesterday and the result was
                      stunning--the end result was more golden blonde, than pale, but a good
                      look on the actor, so it was perfect. He goes for a short brush-cut hair
                      style in the summer anyway, so he won't even have to deal with grow out,
                      too much either.

                      Thanks for your good advise.

                      Lisa