Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Faberge inspired Mardi Gras gowns

  • Shadow's Silk
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2010
      I think they are extremely creative and innovative! I love them.
      I have a couple of questions for you:
      Why were they made? Why were the eggs chosen as a theme? How long did it
      take to create them all? What were your challenges? And last, but not least
      what is the emBella tex?
      Jacquie

      On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM, iom315 <IOM315@...> wrote:

      > I just posted an album of gowns I created in 2007 that were inspired by the
      > Imperial Easter Eggs of Faberge.
      >
      > If you are a member of Facebook you can view them at my company Facebook
      > page. Enter Ides of March Design Group in the search box.
      >
      > The public link is
      > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=164517&id=316566093441&l=059f3c4184
      >
      > The details from the Faberge Eggs were recreated with emBella tex, the
      > textile embossing process I have developed.
      >
      > Hope you enjoy viewing these gowns.
      > Thanks,
      > DL Dixon
      > Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.

    • KEVIN LARSEN
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 15, 2010
        Your gowns are gorgeous!! I love the detail work. I joined your group on facebook. I live in Colorado too, maybe we'll run into each other sometime. Are you going to develop your technique as a class or kit of some kind?
        Smiles, Brandie
        Butte Opera House

      • Paula McWhirter-Buck
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2010
          hey y'all,
          i'm a costume designer...but...i'm about to start working on bridesmaids dresses for a friend's wedding.  the pattern she chose is a 40's style dress (simplicity 2442...the blue photo) which is similar to the wedding dress.
          she has 7 bridesmaids...not a problem.
          but she's decided to have 2 little girls in the wedding party, also, and wants them dressed identically to the bridesmaids.
          is there a place where i might find instructions on how to alter an adult pattern to fit a child.
          i can work with patterns, but dont usually choose to.  i've been unsuccessful in finding a child pattern style that works.
          the wedding is october 28th.

          thanks for any help.

          brightest of blessings,
          paula

        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2010
            I think that the size difference between women and children will be
            too great to alter adult patterns to fit the kids. Better to take a
            child's pattern for a basic dress and restyle it to look like the
            women's dresses. Do have have some pattern drafting skills?

            Sylvia Rognstad
            Costume/clothing design & construction
            Alterations & home dec
            http://www.ezzyworld.com

            On Apr 16, 2010, at 8:43 AM, Paula McWhirter-Buck wrote:

            > hey y'all,
            > i'm a costume designer...but...i'm about to start working on
            > bridesmaids dresses for a friend's wedding. the pattern she chose
            > is a 40's style dress (simplicity 2442...the blue photo) which is
            > similar to the wedding dress.
            > she has 7 bridesmaids...not a problem.
            > but she's decided to have 2 little girls in the wedding party,
            > also, and wants them dressed identically to the bridesmaids.
            > is there a place where i might find instructions on how to alter an
            > adult pattern to fit a child.
            > i can work with patterns, but dont usually choose to. i've been
            > unsuccessful in finding a child pattern style that works.
            > the wedding is october 28th.
            >
            > thanks for any help.
            >
            > brightest of blessings,
            > paula

          • Paula McWhirter-Buck
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2010
              never drafted a pattern...but i did find a  couple of child size patterns i can rearrange to get the same lines.  i was just hoping it wouldnt be too hard to cut the adult pattern down.  but...alas...i'll just have to be creative...
              oh...wait.....i can do that...

              thanks,
              paula