Re: What do you wish someone had told you about costuming?

  • history_lady25
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
      Oh boy do I agree to that one! I just finished assisting with costumes for a show where the director did just that! He added 12 full costumes (and wanted to add more) to the over 110 full costumes already planned and in construction for the show, within two weeks of opening night. The costume designer ended up having to go way over budget because she had to purchase ready-made costumes and pay for rush shipping to get everything to the theater by opening night, and one of the costumes didn't make it in time to be worn until the second performance! We had to make the actress something to wear at the last minute ...

      Elizabeth Urbach

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Terry Dunlop <dunlopterry@...> wrote:

      > Beware of directors that start adding chorus characters to scenes the last few days before the show and learn how to just say "No".
      >
      > Terry Dunlop
      >
      > Love is a promise, love is a souvenir,
      > once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.
      > ~John Lennon
    • Patricia Rohrbach
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
        And the producer was ok with this? Oh my what a thing to do last min.
        Oh boy do I agree to that one! I just finished assisting with costumes for a show where the director did just that! He added 12 full costumes (and wanted to add more) to the over 110 full costumes already planned and in construction for the show, within two weeks of opening night. The costume designer ended up having to go way over budget because she had to purchase ready-made costumes and pay for rush shipping to get everything to the theater by opening night, and one of the costumes didn't make it in time to be worn until the second performance! We had to make the actress something to wear at the last minute ...

        Elizabeth Urbach

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Terry Dunlop <dunlopterry@...> wrote:

        > Beware of directors that start adding chorus characters to scenes the last few days before the show and learn how to just say "No".
        >
        > Terry Dunlop
        >
        > Love is a promise, love is a souvenir,
        > once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.
        > ~John Lennon

      • history_lady25
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2010
          The producer said "just do whatever you have to do to make it work." He meant well, but it took all the designers' complaints (because the director was making similar changes to their designs at the last minute) to get him to say "all right, NO MORE CHANGES!" We got the last two days of tech week with no changes, but the whole experience was extremely frustrating ... Anyway, it's over, and only those of us who knew the backstage drama could see the effects on stage.

          > And the producer was ok with this? Oh my what a thing to do last min.

        • annybanany2
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13, 2010
            Beware of directors that tell you "this job will be easy, only 6 characters" run the other way!