Re: What do you wish someone had told you about costuming?

  • KEVIN LARSEN
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
      Remember that stage costuming is different than screen costuming.

      Layer....
      I always try to get everything wearable, and functional on stage and then go back and add trims and details as time and budget permits.

      Cat's ideas about talking to directors are right on. Presenting ideas based on budget, and having workable alternatives just in case. You certainly don't want to alienate any director because you never know when you'll be working with them again later.

      Be flexible when working with others like stage managers, choreagraphers, set designers, even lighting. If your not invited to those staff meetings, Invite yourself and go anyway. It may seem like it doesn't apply to you but one comment about how "hot" the lights are going to be or how many stage levels there are going to be will have an impact on your design. You may decide to scratch the 3 foot train on a dress when you find out the actress has to climb up and down a staircase on stage.

      Don't let your actors or actresses costume themselves. Be open to concerns about safety and movement, but color, style, and that adorable brooch, or hideous tie are all up to you...

      Plan, Plan, Plan. It will save you lots of work later...

      Have fun!!! Costuming is a blast. Seeing it all come together is one of the most rewarding feelings you will ever have.
      Lastly, Don't stress out. It always gets on stage in one form or another. Have chocolate and tea always at the ready, and learn how to laugh a lot.
      Break a leg.

      Brandie
      www.butteoperahouse.com

    • llsturts@greatlakes.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
        Greetings, all

        I need to craft several horse costumes--the kind the actor wears so it
        appears they are "riding" the horse. Often the rig is supported over the
        actor’s shoulders, like by suspenders, I think. Has anyone built such a
        thing? I'm looking for and and all the guidance, advise and ideas I can
        get!

        Thanks in advance,

        ~lisa.s

        --
        ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
      • history_lady25
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
          Oh boy do I agree to that one! I just finished assisting with costumes for a show where the director did just that! He added 12 full costumes (and wanted to add more) to the over 110 full costumes already planned and in construction for the show, within two weeks of opening night. The costume designer ended up having to go way over budget because she had to purchase ready-made costumes and pay for rush shipping to get everything to the theater by opening night, and one of the costumes didn't make it in time to be worn until the second performance! We had to make the actress something to wear at the last minute ...

          Elizabeth Urbach

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Terry Dunlop <dunlopterry@...> wrote:

          > Beware of directors that start adding chorus characters to scenes the last few days before the show and learn how to just say "No".
          >
          > Terry Dunlop
          >
          > Love is a promise, love is a souvenir,
          > once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.
          > ~John Lennon
        • Patricia Rohrbach
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
            And the producer was ok with this? Oh my what a thing to do last min.
            Oh boy do I agree to that one! I just finished assisting with costumes for a show where the director did just that! He added 12 full costumes (and wanted to add more) to the over 110 full costumes already planned and in construction for the show, within two weeks of opening night. The costume designer ended up having to go way over budget because she had to purchase ready-made costumes and pay for rush shipping to get everything to the theater by opening night, and one of the costumes didn't make it in time to be worn until the second performance! We had to make the actress something to wear at the last minute ...

            Elizabeth Urbach

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Terry Dunlop <dunlopterry@...> wrote:

            > Beware of directors that start adding chorus characters to scenes the last few days before the show and learn how to just say "No".
            >
            > Terry Dunlop
            >
            > Love is a promise, love is a souvenir,
            > once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.
            > ~John Lennon

          • history_lady25
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 30, 2010
              The producer said "just do whatever you have to do to make it work." He meant well, but it took all the designers' complaints (because the director was making similar changes to their designs at the last minute) to get him to say "all right, NO MORE CHANGES!" We got the last two days of tech week with no changes, but the whole experience was extremely frustrating ... Anyway, it's over, and only those of us who knew the backstage drama could see the effects on stage.

              > And the producer was ok with this? Oh my what a thing to do last min.

            • annybanany2
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 13 7:30 PM
                Beware of directors that tell you "this job will be easy, only 6 characters" run the other way!