Re: What do you wish someone had told you about costuming?

  • marymary614
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28, 2010
      Stay organized! It's much easier to spend a little time during luch or after rehearsal filing papers where they go and writing down where you got that hat the day before opening that trying to remember during strike. You won't.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54" <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

      > My niece is doing the costumes for a local production. She wanted to know if I had any tips. After composing a tretise that will take her days to read, I got to thinking. What do you wish someone had told you when you started? Elizabeth

    • Patricia Rohrbach
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28, 2010
        Beware to make sure the director and assistant to the director are on the
        same page about costumes.I showed every thing to the director who loved it
        then his partner became his assistant and wanted a lot of things changed he
        gave in to his partner and I had to" just say NO!" LOL.
        Pat Rohrbach
        From: zimmermanel@...
        Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:38:47 +0000
        Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] What do you wish someone had told you about
        costuming?

        My niece is doing the costumes for a local production. She wanted to know if
        I had any tips. After composing a tretise that will take her days to read, I
        got to thinking. What do you wish someone had told you when you started?
        Elizabeth

      • Cat Devereaux
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28, 2010
          Get into the job because you love it. If you're looking for a 40 week
          and good pay, try business school.

          Don't just take the director's word for what costumes need to do. Go
          over the scrip yourself in detail making notes about anything unusual.
          Meet, discuss, pin it down.

          Be willing to stand up to a director sometimes when something can't be
          done in the time/money requested. BUT, have a couple of alternate
          suggestions to replace the unreachable demands, pointing out how these
          will save time/money/mess/be more successful.

          Be willing to stand up to a director and just say NO when something is
          going to be unsafe for the actors.

          When you're under a budget/time crunch, meet with the director. If you
          can pin down something that will only be seen from the front of a
          costume, or the background (or back of the stage), and the director
          agrees to the limits, you can cut out a lot of time/work/expense. (Of
          course directors don't like this limit... and they don't care about
          time... always speak about saving the budget, best bang for the buck,
          etc. Remember to coach everything in their terms, not yours.)

          Once you get started with costuming, it's almost impossible to get it
          out of your blood! Beware! But... have lots of fun, too.

          -Cat-
        • Carin JACOBS
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28, 2010
            If you are on a tight budget, the easiest way to make your show look "well designed" is to use color....characterize using color, group people together using blocks of color...tie individuals together with color...show character evolution with color changes.

            Carin
            www.CarinJacobsCostumeDesign.com
            562-547-9276 cell

            To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
            From: zimmermanel@...
            Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:38:47 +0000
            Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] What do you wish someone had told you about costuming?

            My niece is doing the costumes for a local production. She wanted to know if I had any tips. After composing a tretise that will take her days to read, I got to thinking. What do you wish someone had told you when you started? Elizabeth

          • KEVIN LARSEN
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
              Remember that stage costuming is different than screen costuming.

              Layer....
              I always try to get everything wearable, and functional on stage and then go back and add trims and details as time and budget permits.

              Cat's ideas about talking to directors are right on. Presenting ideas based on budget, and having workable alternatives just in case. You certainly don't want to alienate any director because you never know when you'll be working with them again later.

              Be flexible when working with others like stage managers, choreagraphers, set designers, even lighting. If your not invited to those staff meetings, Invite yourself and go anyway. It may seem like it doesn't apply to you but one comment about how "hot" the lights are going to be or how many stage levels there are going to be will have an impact on your design. You may decide to scratch the 3 foot train on a dress when you find out the actress has to climb up and down a staircase on stage.

              Don't let your actors or actresses costume themselves. Be open to concerns about safety and movement, but color, style, and that adorable brooch, or hideous tie are all up to you...

              Plan, Plan, Plan. It will save you lots of work later...

              Have fun!!! Costuming is a blast. Seeing it all come together is one of the most rewarding feelings you will ever have.
              Lastly, Don't stress out. It always gets on stage in one form or another. Have chocolate and tea always at the ready, and learn how to laugh a lot.
              Break a leg.

              Brandie
              www.butteoperahouse.com

            • llsturts@greatlakes.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
                Greetings, all

                I need to craft several horse costumes--the kind the actor wears so it
                appears they are "riding" the horse. Often the rig is supported over the
                actor’s shoulders, like by suspenders, I think. Has anyone built such a
                thing? I'm looking for and and all the guidance, advise and ideas I can
                get!

                Thanks in advance,

                ~lisa.s

                --
                ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
              • history_lady25
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
                  Oh boy do I agree to that one! I just finished assisting with costumes for a show where the director did just that! He added 12 full costumes (and wanted to add more) to the over 110 full costumes already planned and in construction for the show, within two weeks of opening night. The costume designer ended up having to go way over budget because she had to purchase ready-made costumes and pay for rush shipping to get everything to the theater by opening night, and one of the costumes didn't make it in time to be worn until the second performance! We had to make the actress something to wear at the last minute ...

                  Elizabeth Urbach

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Terry Dunlop <dunlopterry@...> wrote:

                  > Beware of directors that start adding chorus characters to scenes the last few days before the show and learn how to just say "No".
                  >
                  > Terry Dunlop
                  >
                  > Love is a promise, love is a souvenir,
                  > once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.
                  > ~John Lennon
                • Patricia Rohrbach
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 29, 2010
                    And the producer was ok with this? Oh my what a thing to do last min.
                    Oh boy do I agree to that one! I just finished assisting with costumes for a show where the director did just that! He added 12 full costumes (and wanted to add more) to the over 110 full costumes already planned and in construction for the show, within two weeks of opening night. The costume designer ended up having to go way over budget because she had to purchase ready-made costumes and pay for rush shipping to get everything to the theater by opening night, and one of the costumes didn't make it in time to be worn until the second performance! We had to make the actress something to wear at the last minute ...

                    Elizabeth Urbach

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Terry Dunlop <dunlopterry@...> wrote:

                    > Beware of directors that start adding chorus characters to scenes the last few days before the show and learn how to just say "No".
                    >
                    > Terry Dunlop
                    >
                    > Love is a promise, love is a souvenir,
                    > once given never forgotten, never let it disappear.
                    > ~John Lennon

                  • history_lady25
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 30, 2010
                      The producer said "just do whatever you have to do to make it work." He meant well, but it took all the designers' complaints (because the director was making similar changes to their designs at the last minute) to get him to say "all right, NO MORE CHANGES!" We got the last two days of tech week with no changes, but the whole experience was extremely frustrating ... Anyway, it's over, and only those of us who knew the backstage drama could see the effects on stage.

                      > And the producer was ok with this? Oh my what a thing to do last min.

                    • annybanany2
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 13, 2010
                        Beware of directors that tell you "this job will be easy, only 6 characters" run the other way!