Re: Recycling Scraps

  • Trish
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
      You can also try Freecycle - they do much the same thing as Re Use It:
      members post things that are usable, but no longer needed/wanted, all
      giveaways, no charge. I often see people posting "bag of fabric"
      giveaways on my local Freecycle group.

      www.freecycle.org <http://www.freecycle.org>

      Trish

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

      > I post regularly on Re Use It - several times a year I give large bags
      of fabric scraps to quilters. The bonus is, if you're giving something
      away, the recipient picks it up from you. The only rule is, you can't
      charge a fee; this is strictly freebies.

      > In St. Louis, there is also an organization called Leftovers, where
      you can donate non-recyclable items (styrofoam, fabric, # 6 plastic
      containers, etc.); teachers can take these items for a small fee and use
      them for classroom projects.

      > http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/
      >

      > Good luck!
      >
      > Donna

      recycled? In a world where we recycle almost everything, there has to be
      somewhere to send all the fabric scraps we accumulate over the course of
      the season. I've already tried giving them to local quilting groups, art
      depts, day cares, schools, church groups, etc. I need somewhere that
      will actually recycle them into new textiles. I can't stand just
      throwing them away.
      > Thanks!
      >

      > =

    • cloakmakerusa
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
        I don't know about places that will make new textiles, but I also give wool and fleece scrap to animal shelters, and I give mixed scrap to my local sewing machine repair place (and they give me a discount!)

        You might also try a weavers guild if one exists in your area - someone might be doing rag rugs.

        Best wishes,

        Dina Flockhart
        www.cloakmaker.com

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jolica17" <Jolica17@...> wrote:

        > Hello!
        > Would anyone happen to know where fabric scraps can be sent to be recycled? In a world where we recycle almost everything, there has to be somewhere to send all the fabric scraps we accumulate over the course of the season. I've already tried giving them to local quilting groups, art depts, day cares, schools, church groups, etc. I need somewhere that will actually recycle them into new textiles. I can't stand just throwing them away.
        > Thanks!

      • Pam Richey
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
          My city accepts Textiles at it's city recycling collection center - I
          save up the semesters worth and take it there myself.

          good luck!