Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Recycling Scraps

  • lanorte1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
      I post regularly on Re Use It - several times a year I give large bags of fabric scraps to quilters. The bonus is, if you're giving something away, the recipient picks it up from you. The only rule is, you can't charge a fee; this is strictly freebies.

      In St. Louis, there is also an organization called Leftovers, where you can donate non-recyclable items (styrofoam, fabric, # 6 plastic containers, etc.); teachers can take these items for a small fee and use them for classroom projects.

      http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/

      Good luck!

      Donna

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
        You can also try Freecycle - they do much the same thing as Re Use It:
        members post things that are usable, but no longer needed/wanted, all
        giveaways, no charge. I often see people posting "bag of fabric"
        giveaways on my local Freecycle group.

        www.freecycle.org <http://www.freecycle.org>

        Trish

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

        > I post regularly on Re Use It - several times a year I give large bags
        of fabric scraps to quilters. The bonus is, if you're giving something
        away, the recipient picks it up from you. The only rule is, you can't
        charge a fee; this is strictly freebies.

        > In St. Louis, there is also an organization called Leftovers, where
        you can donate non-recyclable items (styrofoam, fabric, # 6 plastic
        containers, etc.); teachers can take these items for a small fee and use
        them for classroom projects.

        > http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/
        >

        > Good luck!
        >
        > Donna

      • cloakmakerusa
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
          I don't know about places that will make new textiles, but I also give wool and fleece scrap to animal shelters, and I give mixed scrap to my local sewing machine repair place (and they give me a discount!)

          You might also try a weavers guild if one exists in your area - someone might be doing rag rugs.

          Best wishes,

          Dina Flockhart
          www.cloakmaker.com

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jolica17" <Jolica17@...> wrote:

          > Hello!
          > Would anyone happen to know where fabric scraps can be sent to be recycled? In a world where we recycle almost everything, there has to be somewhere to send all the fabric scraps we accumulate over the course of the season. I've already tried giving them to local quilting groups, art depts, day cares, schools, church groups, etc. I need somewhere that will actually recycle them into new textiles. I can't stand just throwing them away.
          > Thanks!

        • Pam Richey
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
            My city accepts Textiles at it's city recycling collection center - I
            save up the semesters worth and take it there myself.

            good luck!