Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Recycling Scraps

  • Susan Toker
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
      Check with thrift stores like Salvation Army. I have heard that they may
      take the unwanted donations and sell them to people who turn them into
      fibers used by other industries (ie recycle).

      If that is true then donating the scraps (marked as scraps) might do it.

      Susan

    • lanorte1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
        I post regularly on Re Use It - several times a year I give large bags of fabric scraps to quilters. The bonus is, if you're giving something away, the recipient picks it up from you. The only rule is, you can't charge a fee; this is strictly freebies.

        In St. Louis, there is also an organization called Leftovers, where you can donate non-recyclable items (styrofoam, fabric, # 6 plastic containers, etc.); teachers can take these items for a small fee and use them for classroom projects.

        http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/

        Good luck!

        Donna

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
          You can also try Freecycle - they do much the same thing as Re Use It:
          members post things that are usable, but no longer needed/wanted, all
          giveaways, no charge. I often see people posting "bag of fabric"
          giveaways on my local Freecycle group.

          www.freecycle.org <http://www.freecycle.org>

          Trish

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

          > I post regularly on Re Use It - several times a year I give large bags
          of fabric scraps to quilters. The bonus is, if you're giving something
          away, the recipient picks it up from you. The only rule is, you can't
          charge a fee; this is strictly freebies.

          > In St. Louis, there is also an organization called Leftovers, where
          you can donate non-recyclable items (styrofoam, fabric, # 6 plastic
          containers, etc.); teachers can take these items for a small fee and use
          them for classroom projects.

          > http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/
          >

          > Good luck!
          >
          > Donna

        • cloakmakerusa
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
            I don't know about places that will make new textiles, but I also give wool and fleece scrap to animal shelters, and I give mixed scrap to my local sewing machine repair place (and they give me a discount!)

            You might also try a weavers guild if one exists in your area - someone might be doing rag rugs.

            Best wishes,

            Dina Flockhart
            www.cloakmaker.com

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jolica17" <Jolica17@...> wrote:

            > Hello!
            > Would anyone happen to know where fabric scraps can be sent to be recycled? In a world where we recycle almost everything, there has to be somewhere to send all the fabric scraps we accumulate over the course of the season. I've already tried giving them to local quilting groups, art depts, day cares, schools, church groups, etc. I need somewhere that will actually recycle them into new textiles. I can't stand just throwing them away.
            > Thanks!

          • Pam Richey
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
              My city accepts Textiles at it's city recycling collection center - I
              save up the semesters worth and take it there myself.

              good luck!