Recycling Scraps

  • jolica17
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
      Hello!
      Would anyone happen to know where fabric scraps can be sent to be recycled? In a world where we recycle almost everything, there has to be somewhere to send all the fabric scraps we accumulate over the course of the season. I've already tried giving them to local quilting groups, art depts, day cares, schools, church groups, etc. I need somewhere that will actually recycle them into new textiles. I can't stand just throwing them away.
      Thanks!
    • Susan Toker
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
        Check with thrift stores like Salvation Army. I have heard that they may
        take the unwanted donations and sell them to people who turn them into
        fibers used by other industries (ie recycle).

        If that is true then donating the scraps (marked as scraps) might do it.

        Susan

      • lanorte1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
          I post regularly on Re Use It - several times a year I give large bags of fabric scraps to quilters. The bonus is, if you're giving something away, the recipient picks it up from you. The only rule is, you can't charge a fee; this is strictly freebies.

          In St. Louis, there is also an organization called Leftovers, where you can donate non-recyclable items (styrofoam, fabric, # 6 plastic containers, etc.); teachers can take these items for a small fee and use them for classroom projects.

          http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/

          Good luck!

          Donna

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
            You can also try Freecycle - they do much the same thing as Re Use It:
            members post things that are usable, but no longer needed/wanted, all
            giveaways, no charge. I often see people posting "bag of fabric"
            giveaways on my local Freecycle group.

            www.freecycle.org <http://www.freecycle.org>

            Trish

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

            > I post regularly on Re Use It - several times a year I give large bags
            of fabric scraps to quilters. The bonus is, if you're giving something
            away, the recipient picks it up from you. The only rule is, you can't
            charge a fee; this is strictly freebies.

            > In St. Louis, there is also an organization called Leftovers, where
            you can donate non-recyclable items (styrofoam, fabric, # 6 plastic
            containers, etc.); teachers can take these items for a small fee and use
            them for classroom projects.

            > http://www.reuseitnetwork.org/
            >

            > Good luck!
            >
            > Donna

          • cloakmakerusa
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
              I don't know about places that will make new textiles, but I also give wool and fleece scrap to animal shelters, and I give mixed scrap to my local sewing machine repair place (and they give me a discount!)

              You might also try a weavers guild if one exists in your area - someone might be doing rag rugs.

              Best wishes,

              Dina Flockhart
              www.cloakmaker.com

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jolica17" <Jolica17@...> wrote:

              > Hello!
              > Would anyone happen to know where fabric scraps can be sent to be recycled? In a world where we recycle almost everything, there has to be somewhere to send all the fabric scraps we accumulate over the course of the season. I've already tried giving them to local quilting groups, art depts, day cares, schools, church groups, etc. I need somewhere that will actually recycle them into new textiles. I can't stand just throwing them away.
              > Thanks!

            • Pam Richey
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
                My city accepts Textiles at it's city recycling collection center - I
                save up the semesters worth and take it there myself.

                good luck!