Teaching design to teens

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2010
      I am scheduled to teach a short "elements of design" class to some
      high schoolers who all want to go into fashion design. I taught the
      class before but geared it toward adults and covered basic principles
      of design like shape, color, texture, proportion, balance, etc, but I
      think this is not very effective for girls. I'm not sure what to
      teach them or how to make it fun and simple enough for them. Any
      ideas from the teachers among you?

      Sylvia Rognstad
      Costume/clothing design & construction
      Alterations & home dec
      http://www.ezzyworld.com

    • llsturts@greatlakes.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2010
        Take your basic lecture but use Project Runway as your examples. I'm sure
        you can find enough images on line to illustrate each design principle,
        plus some (okay, maybe a lot) examples of good design vs. bad design. (and
        I'd explain why Project Runway is NOT a good example of fashion design
        work--but that's a subject I won't get started on) I'd also throw in some
        Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear (they have a book out titled Dress
        Your Best: The Complete Guide to Finding the Style That's Right for Your
        Body)

        Actually, I've already done this--augmented my Basic Costume course
        material with Project Runway stuff; it's been well received.

        ~lisa.s

        > I am scheduled to teach a short "elements of design" class to some
        > high schoolers who all want to go into fashion design. I taught the
        > class before but geared it toward adults and covered basic principles
        > of design like shape, color, texture, proportion, balance, etc, but I
        > think this is not very effective for girls. I'm not sure what to
        > teach them or how to make it fun and simple enough for them. Any
        > ideas from the teachers among you?
        >

        > Sylvia Rognstad
        > Costume/clothing design & construction
        > Alterations & home dec
        > http://www.ezzyworld.com

        ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
      • wendylstarn
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2010
          Here are a couple of 2-D design books that might be helpful:

          "Color & Composition for the Creative Quilter" (better than just color & design books, because it uses fabric and discusses prints, etc. "Notan" is also an excellent book for 2-D design.

          http://www.amazon.com/Color-Composition-Creative-Easy-Follow/dp/1571202722/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267368520&sr=1-3

          http://www.amazon.com/Notan-Dark-Light-Principle-Dorr-Bothwell/dp/048626856X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267368694&sr=1-1
        • catslave54
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2010
            Take a look at Costume : Character, Type, and Design in the 'Files' section. I've used it at a local high school with great success. Elizabeth