RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Fruit Sources

  • Carin JACOBS
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010
      I have done this before....you need hollow plastic fruit (I bought mine online). Make small holes in one end and just sew them onto the garment or hat with clear thread.

      Carin
      www.CarinJacobsCostumeDesign.com
      562-547-9276 cell

      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      From: soul.searchin@...
      Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:00:22 +0000
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Fruit Sources

      Hello: I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on making hats & garments with fake fruit?
      I will be working on costumes inspired by Carmen Miranda & Josephine Baker and would love to know:

      1. Where would I find fake fruit in bulk and suitable for costumes? This project would be for about 30-50 people in a dance troupe so potentially would need a lot!
      2. What are some ways to attach fruit onto a hat or garment?

      I'll be conducting research this week, but hopefully some of you have some clues and sources to start with.

      Thanks & Have a great week!

      Miss Cherylee
      Hot Pink Feathers
      www.hotpinkfeathers.com
      Performer ~ Dancer ~ Costumer

    • Lady FLEUR
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010
        I have a source i hand pick what ever you need they are NOT online!!
        Tell me your wants needs and i can tell you the price!!
        Some are fabric covered so you can sew them on!
        the plastic ones pop a hole with a awl or glue gun and use ribbon or twine to tie on!
        Feel free to e-mail me! makingyourdreamcometrue@... and i can see if i can help!

      • lanorte1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010
          This may not be the best method, but I did this 2 years ago and it was quick, cheat and it worked.

          I used a small, shallow straw basket for the base and turned it upside down. On top of that I attached a styrofoam cone by running some florist's wire in a "U" shape through the bottom of the basket and into the foam. I also used hot glue to further secure the cone to the basket.

          I attached plastic fruit to the cone and top of the hat (around the base of the cone) with either more florist wire (which works well with grapes) or hot glue (which worked better for the bananas and pineapples).

          I then took a strip of foam rubber and glued it inside the basket to make it more secure and more comfortable on the actor's head. Finally, I added an elastic strap to go under the chin, took a bright, printed kerchief around the back of the actor's head and tied that around the base of the basket, then stitched big, dangly earrings to each side (this was for a quick change).

          Good luck,

          Donna

        • retshopbuyer@charter.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010
            i would check with a floral supply for the fruit-

            as for attaching i have used a tagger with long what ever they are called-
            like the things they use to attach hanging price tags to clothing
            you can get these usually thru a dry cleaning supply place-

            retshopbuyer

            ---- Cherylee <soul.searchin@...> wrote:
            > Hello: I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on making hats & garments with fake fruit?
            > I will be working on costumes inspired by Carmen Miranda & Josephine Baker and would love to know:
            >
            > 1. Where would I find fake fruit in bulk and suitable for costumes? This project would be for about 30-50 people in a dance troupe so potentially would need a lot!
            > 2. What are some ways to attach fruit onto a hat or garment?
            >
            > I'll be conducting research this week, but hopefully some of you have some clues and sources to start with.
            >
            > Thanks & Have a great week!
            >

            > Miss Cherylee
            > Hot Pink Feathers
            > www.hotpinkfeathers.com
            > Performer ~ Dancer ~ Costumer

          • catslave54
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2010
              Cherylee,
              Post some photos of the headdresses when they are done, please! Elizabeth