Gaston costume

  • Janette
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
      Hi! I'm trying to build a costume for Gaston in a middle school production of Beauty and the Beast. I purchased a costume muscle shirt which is a long sleeved t-shirt stuffed and stitched to look like bulging arm muscles, big pecs, and a six pack. While it looks ok on its own, once you put clothes over it it just looks like a big puffy mess. I had planned to have this shirt as the first layer, with a poet's shirt with flowing sleeves over it, and a leathery jerkin over that. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn a skinny eighth grader into a musclebound lout? Thanks, Janette
    • Valancy Gilliam
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
        Have you tried just padding the actually shirt here and there. If you go
        too overboard it's going to look ridiculous anyway on someone so small
        statured compared as everyone else. Try sewing in padding in key locations
        like biceps and pecs to emphasize and keep stuffing until it's noticable
        from the audience. That's the only other thing I can think of. Pockets of
        fluff until he looks sufficiently bulky.

        On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Janette <nettie383@...> wrote:

        > Hi! I'm trying to build a costume for Gaston in a middle school production
        > of Beauty and the Beast. I purchased a costume muscle shirt which is a long
        > sleeved t-shirt stuffed and stitched to look like bulging arm muscles, big
        > pecs, and a six pack. While it looks ok on its own, once you put clothes
        > over it it just looks like a big puffy mess. I had planned to have this
        > shirt as the first layer, with a poet's shirt with flowing sleeves over it,
        > and a leathery jerkin over that. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to
        > turn a skinny eighth grader into a musclebound lout? Thanks, Janette

      • Janette Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
          I was thinking of that!  I thought I could cut the muscle shirt up and sew the "muscles" onto the jerkin.  I also thought I might cut the sleeves off the shirt and sew them directly to the jerkin so the extra material of the shirt wouldn't affect the fit.  I wasn't sure about the arm muscles, though.  Do you think if I just padded the torso the audience would assume the arms were muscular because of the big sleeves?  Thanks, Janette

        • llsturts@greatlakes.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
            When Donny Osmond played the role on Broadway "six-pack" muscle definition
            were painted on his jerkin. Here are links to a couple photographs:

            http://www.blogwaybaby.com/2006/09/beauty-and-beast-nine-years-later.shtml
            http://kaybee.mlblogs.com/gaston%20beauty%20and%20the%20beast.jpg

            The poet shirt would hide skinny arms as would subtle padding built into
            the breeches for his legs.

            Another option would be to create design lines to mimic muscles like in
            this picture:

            http://tinyurl.com/ykp59s2

            lisa.s

            --
            ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
          • Kathryn Parke
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
              Here are a couple more close-ups of the costume on Donny from a straight-on angle:

              http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.broadwayworld.com/upload/14300/D7.jpg&imgrefurl=http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Coverage_Donny_Osmond_Surprise_Birthday_Celebration_20061211&h=304&w=450&sz=56&tbnid=WuYygYWeSjqmwM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSarah%2BUriarte%2BBerry&usg=__1nhJY6sjY5ucs1KLuyENtCKm1yE=&ei=GGxFS8KcE4baNpTf9fAC&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=image&ved=0CBcQ9QEwBA

              It looks as if that costume may also have been created w/ design lines like the one in your tiny.url example, when you see it from the front.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
                Wow, that on Donny Osmond looks fantastic! And a really good, cheap, idea
                too! And yeah, the poet shirtsleeves cover a multitude of sins and still
                look very cool.

                As for padding sewn in, I wouldn't imagine you have to go too overboard,
                especially with slight frames. So I would think a little on the torso on
                the inner side of jerkin just to give a smidge more heft to the actor's
                slight frame would be sufficient. And I would also imagine the poet sleeves
                would be sufficient. Is the jerkin cut like a vest or does it have sleeves,
                like half or t-shirt sleeves? If like a vest, torso padding should be
                enough. If with half/t-shirt sleeves, just a touch padding there as well
                for bicep muscle definition.

                I don't know much about pants or how comfortable any sort of padding would
                be. Not sure if you'd want to pad the inner or outer thighs. I would think
                the outer thighs. Too much padding on the inner thighs and he might not be
                able to walk properly LOL. Maybe pad the inner lining of the boots at the
                calves to even things out, but it depends on your time contraints and how
                corny it would look too, I guess. Parents are forgiving on lower grade
                productions (grin) if the proportions are just so. LOL

                Good luck and look forward to pictures when you're done! Sounds exciting!

                On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM, <llsturts@...> wrote:

                > When Donny Osmond played the role on Broadway "six-pack" muscle definition
                > were painted on his jerkin. Here are links to a couple photographs:
                >
                > http://www.blogwaybaby.com/2006/09/beauty-and-beast-nine-years-later.shtml
                > http://kaybee.mlblogs.com/gaston%20beauty%20and%20the%20beast.jpg
                >
                > The poet shirt would hide skinny arms as would subtle padding built into
                > the breeches for his legs.
                >
                > Another option would be to create design lines to mimic muscles like in
                > this picture:
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/ykp59s2
                >
                > lisa.s
                >

                > > Have you tried just padding the actually shirt here and there. If you go
                > > too overboard it's going to look ridiculous anyway on someone so small
                > > statured compared as everyone else. Try sewing in padding in key
                > > locations like biceps and pecs to emphasize and keep stuffing until it's
                > > noticable from the audience. That's the only other thing I can think of.
                > > Pockets of fluff until he looks sufficiently bulky.
                > >

                > >> Hi! I'm trying to build a costume for Gaston in a middle school
                > >> production of Beauty and the Beast.
                > --
                > ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net

              • Kathryn Parke

                  When Donny Osmond played the role on Broadway "six-pack" muscle definition
                  were painted on his jerkin. Here are links to a couple photographs:

                  http://www.blogwaybaby.com/2006/09/beauty-and-beast-nine-years-later.shtml
                  http://kaybee. mlblogs.com/ gaston%20beauty% 20and%20the% 20beast.jpg

                  The poet shirt would hide skinny arms as would subtle padding built into
                  the breeches for his legs.

                  Another option would be to create design lines to mimic muscles like in
                  this picture:

                  http://tinyurl. com/ykp59s2

                  lisa.s

                  > Have you tried just padding the actually shirt here and there. If you go
                  > too overboard it's going to look ridiculous anyway on someone so small
                  > statured compared as everyone else. Try sewing in padding in key
                  > locations like biceps and pecs to emphasize and keep stuffing until it's
                  > noticable from the audience. That's the only other thing I can think of.
                  > Pockets of fluff until he looks sufficiently bulky.
                  >

                  >> Hi! I'm trying to build a costume for Gaston in a middle school
                  >> production of Beauty and the Beast.
                  --
                  ~lisa.s llsturts<AT> greatlakes< DOT>net

                • jackiekeizer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
                    In addition to what everyone else has said, lifts in his shoes, or heeled shoes might also help. They wouldn't give him muscles, but being taller would help in looking bigger.

                    Jackie

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Janette" <nettie383@...> wrote:

                    > Hi! I'm trying to build a costume for Gaston in a middle school production of Beauty and the Beast. I purchased a costume muscle shirt which is a long sleeved t-shirt stuffed and stitched to look like bulging arm muscles, big pecs, and a six pack. While it looks ok on its own, once you put clothes over it it just looks like a big puffy mess. I had planned to have this shirt as the first layer, with a poet's shirt with flowing sleeves over it, and a leathery jerkin over that. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn a skinny eighth grader into a musclebound lout? Thanks, Janette

                  • Mandy F
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
                      Don't know if this has been said yet, but don't do up the shirt all the way.
                      They never do on the TV. :)

                      And it's all about "the walk" Muscle bound guys always look like they are
                      trying to hold onto something in their nether region, shoulders back, arms
                      away from the body, chin down but chest up.

                      Well, that's how my muscle bound companions walk at the gym..LOL

                      Mandy