Cleaning garments with pearls

  • fohmar7887
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
      I'm planning a 16th century chemise with pearls on the neckband. How can this be safely cleaned? Do I need to remove the pearls for washing/dry cleaning? The neckband will be the part most in need of cleaning.

      how were these cleaned in the 16th century?

      Autumn
    • Patricia Rohrbach
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
        They were not cleaned at all LOL. depending on the fabric you are using hand washing will probably be the answer.
        "We are all gifted. We just open our presents at different times."
        I'm planning a 16th century chemise with pearls on the neckband. How can this be safely cleaned? Do I need to remove the pearls for washing/dry cleaning? The neckband will be the part most in need of cleaning.

        how were these cleaned in the 16th century?

        Autumn

      • Paula McWhirter-Buck
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
          i'd make the neckband plain then make a removable piece of fabric with the pearls attached and then put velcro/snaps or something on the back to attach to the plain neckband, so the pearls can be removed before cleaning and reattached after, and would actually never come in contact with skin/makeup.