Re: hats

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2009
      I've done it a few ways, depending on the hat, but the following have generally had the best results...

      Elastic--use 1/8" or 1/4", black if the performer has dark hair or tan if they have blond or light brown hair. Attach the elastic to the sides of the hat, slightly forward of the ears, and have the elastic go through/under their hair, around the back of the neck, at the base of the skull. The elastic should, in theory, pull down and back so that the forehead of the hat is held fairly secure against the performer's hair. You can also sew a plastic comb into the hat for added stability (sew it into the front, so that as the hat is pulled back to put the elastic down.

      Combs/clips--The other option I've used (which isn't as fast to put on as the previous one) involves sewing a comb into the front (or side) of the hat, and then a barrette or hair-clip of some sort directly opposite. Put the hat on in such a way that the comb pulls securely into the hair, then fasten the barrette (this does NOT work with short hair.)

      Good luck!