Re: Wire Work Costuming

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Jane Waligorski <em47b@...> wrote:

      > Are most rigs wired from the waist so that I can use side seam openings or from the shoulder blade area? I'm sorry to be so ignorant; from my basic research, I can tell that only a very few companies with proprietary expertise are skilled in this technical area.

      It all depends on the rig. If they're just supposed to hang, suspended, then the wires will generally attach high in the back or at the shoulders (attaching at the back tends to lean the subject forward slightly, which gives better sight lines for stage work). If they're supposed to be able to do flips in the air, etc, then they'll attach at the waist (and costuming for stuff like that is very tricky). The closer to horizontal you want the individual to appear, generally, the closer to the waist the hook-up point will be, just to take advantage of the person's own center of gravity.

      Some rigs also attach at the side (as you can imagine, having a flying rig where someone does a flip requires attachment points that don't interfere with someone's front-to-back line of motion), while others attach at the back, and can be a single point of attachment. Those are the easiest to use, the least likely to get tangled in a costume (there's only one wire, and it's behind the actor where it's highly unlikely that a stray arm wave is going to cause a problem). You CAN build the costume in advance and then put a hole in it for the access to the harness, but you need to build the costume to measurements for the actor IN THE HARNESS and any padding they may wear for comfort's sake while in the harness. You will also want to finish (and possibly reinforce) the edges of the opening when you make it.

      I've never done it myself...worked on a few shows that have done flying rigs of various sorts, and researched a flying rig for a show that ended up scrapping the whole idea due to cost and logistical concerns. Good luck with it!
    • Linda from SD
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
        We are currently preparing a production of Peter Pan. ZFX Flying is doing our flying rig, etc. They have told us it is best to wait until they come in w/ the harnesses to prepare the contact opening. The harnesses we will be using are attached center back at appx. shoulder blade height. I have been working my designs with that plus the bulk of the harness in mind. We will finalize after the flying team and harnesses arrive. FYI - we had to take very specific measurements for the harnesses as the company produces them according to the person who is flying. Hope this helps.
        Linda

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Jane Waligorski <em47b@...> wrote:

        > "Are you looking for information about the harness, the costume to go over it, or both? Please tell me you are planning to use a professional harness with professional supervision" costumerkate
        >
        > Actually, your response already helps me - I have no responsibility for the harness/technical aspect of the flying, but I assume it will be professionally operated - I had better check that! I just wanted to make sure I could make the costume, and then go back and make openings as required. Are most rigs wired from the waist so that I can use side seam openings or from the shoulder blade area? I'm sorry to be so ignorant; from my basic research, I can tell that only a very few companies with proprietary expertise are skilled in this technical area. I don't want to pry into secrets, just make a safe, durable costume. Thank you so much for your help. Jane W.

      • Costume Gallery
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
          I agree to wait. We had the diagrams for the harness, before we started
          the costumes, We finished the costume and rigged the costume after ZFX
          arrived.

          Joy