Re: Costuming for wire/harness/flying role (angel)

  • costumerkate
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi Jane: Are you looking for information about the harness, the costume to go over it, or both? Please tell me you are planning to use a professional harness with professional supervision....

      The costume itself can be made any way you choose, as long as it conceals the harness and leaves the leads free. If you could be more specific about the information you need, I can probably help you. I have done several productions with fly lines (most recently Cirque Shanghai: Bright Spirit here in Chicago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNG8DntoiQ)

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "m1g1h1" <em47b@...> wrote:

      > In a fit of overconfidence, I have agreed to be Team Leader for the new Christmas production at church. There will be one angel in flying harness in an over sized seven foot long robe with long sleeves (no actual wings, just lots of floaty silk gauze). I usually do my own research & have studied the archives & the website but am unable to find practical advice on wire work costuming and would appreciate any special knowledge and/or direction to research that any listmembers can offer me. Jane W.

    • Brenda
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2009
        Hi, I've worked on a few shows with harnesses and costumes. The harness wranglers can give lots of very important advice, especially about safety issues. Openings in costume seams or other areas for hardware to reach through are great; besides the challenge of concealing but leaving the harness free to function, "floaty" bits can get in the way of the lines and get snagged.It all depends on the type of harness and number of points- and consider some sturdy undergarments to cushion against the pull of the strapping and hardware on bodies, especially for those unused to it. Padded t-shirts at the shoulders and padded bike shorts are good examples. I think it's most important to plan well, be aware of all safety issues, and consider actor comfort- then they can have fun!

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "m1g1h1" <em47b@...> wrote:

        > In a fit of overconfidence, I have agreed to be Team Leader for the new Christmas production at church. There will be one angel in flying harness in an over sized seven foot long robe with long sleeves (no actual wings, just lots of floaty silk gauze). I usually do my own research & have studied the archives & the website but am unable to find practical advice on wire work costuming and would appreciate any special knowledge and/or direction to research that any listmembers can offer me. Jane W.

      • Costume Gallery 2
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
          Be really careful. There was a terrible accident last Christmas at a
          Cincinnati Church. There were a few things that went wrong. One thing
          was the robe got caught in t he hook and did not close properly. I have
          attached an article on the accident.

          My insurance agent called me day to see if I was the costumer. Thank
          God I wasn't, because he thought the litigation was going to be long and
          drawn out. When I've worked with flying I only work with a certified
          company like ZFX and I have the production sign my release. I don't
          know if it would really hold water in a court of law.

          http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Xavier-Student-Dies-After-Christmas-Show-Fall/VarSU94WEUi4O737ToCFMg.cspx

          Just my thoughts.
          Joy

          Cincinnati, OH -- Investigators are still trying to determine the
          details of a tragic accident that claimed the life of a young woman who
          fell to her death during a Christmas celebration in Oakley, a Cincinnati
          suburb, Wednesday night.

          Twenty-three-year-old Keri Shryock died Thursday morning at University
          Hospital. Witnesses say she fell about 25 feet during the Christmas
          pageant "Awaited" at the Crossroads Community Church.

          Shryock, a Xavier University graduate student, was playing the role of a
          wise man in a contemporary Nativity story and was suspended by an
          overhead cable when she fell during opening night on Wednesday.