Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Formal Gown

  • Patricia Rohrbach
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
      Well this is a hard one cause some pattern pieces you will add to out side some to inside. with out seeing the pattern I can't tell you what is what? what one is it?

      A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"

      -Willy Wonka

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
        Well some time you add to out side some time to inside,I would need more info to help. What pattern number is it and what are her measurements

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "candice_wheat" <candykisses28@...> wrote:

        > Ok so my roommate is entering a pageant and i stupidly agreed to make the Gown... it is a vogue pattern, so first off i hate it.. but after looking over the construction steps i can do it but it is not her size...the biggest size is still inches off...how would i go about manipulating this pattern to get her size..do i add to the outside or inside of the pattern piece...normally i would not be so scared but the pattern pieces are not standard dress pieces this is a very a symetrical dress with pleats and gathers....i think i am over my head and training.. any sugestions......please help me

      • geneiak
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
          send the pattern number and maybe people could help better after seeing the pic-

          retshopbuyer

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "candice_wheat" <candykisses28@...> wrote:

          > Ok so my roommate is entering a pageant and i stupidly agreed to make the Gown... it is a vogue pattern, so first off i hate it.. but after looking over the construction steps i can do it but it is not her size...the biggest size is still inches off...how would i go about manipulating this pattern to get her size..do i add to the outside or inside of the pattern piece...normally i would not be so scared but the pattern pieces are not standard dress pieces this is a very a symetrical dress with pleats and gathers....i think i am over my head and training.. any sugestions......please help me

        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
            What's the pattern? Can we look at a picture online?

            Sylvia Rognstad
            Costume/clothing design & construction
            Alterations & home dec
            http://www.ezzyworld.com

            On Oct 22, 2009, at 4:14 PM, candice_wheat wrote:

            > Ok so my roommate is entering a pageant and i stupidly agreed to
            > make the Gown... it is a vogue pattern, so first off i hate it..
            > but after looking over the construction steps i can do it but it is
            > not her size...the biggest size is still inches off...how would i
            > go about manipulating this pattern to get her size..do i add to the
            > outside or inside of the pattern piece...normally i would not be so
            > scared but the pattern pieces are not standard dress pieces this is
            > a very a symetrical dress with pleats and gathers....i think i am
            > over my head and training.. any sugestions......please help me

          • iom315
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
              I have this pattern in my studio, so perhaps I can help. I have worked with alot of Vogue patterns over the years, sometimes they run large so you may not have to add as much as the measurements on the pattern would lead you to believe.

              Have you made a muslin from this pattern?

              If not take the time to make the muslin, it will save you alot of time in the long run. Be sure to mark each pattern piece on the muslin so that you don't get confused when you fit. This will allow you to see where the side seams of the garment lay as well as your center front & back.

              You may have to add side seams to the drapes to get the extra inches you need. I haven't looked at the pattern in awhile so I don't remember the pieces.

              If you would like to contact me at my email address I can give you more specific help.

              Good luck,
              DL Dixon
              iom315@...
              Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.