Re: Looking for crowns

  • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
      Go to the hardware store and get a sheet of the gold-colored metal
      that is used to cover air ducts. It's a sheet about 30" x 36", and
      comes in several patterns of pierced holes. You can cut strips of it
      with snips or really heavy duty shears (not your sewing shears!) and
      wire or pop-rivet them into a circle. Glue a thin strip of felt or
      craft foam inside for cushioning and to protect the actor from the
      sharp edge. You can wire beads to it or glue jewels to it if you
      need more bling. Run a thin bead of hot glue or white glue along the
      rest of the cut edges to dull the sharpness. We've made 3 crowns
      this way. You can create things even more elaborate than plain
      circlets, even, and one sheet can make several crowns. I think the
      sheets cost $10 or less.

      HTH,
      Sandy

      At 09:50 PM 9/20/2009, you wrote:

      >In the past, I've purchased simple, gold circlet crowns from the
      >Renaissance Store; I need 4-5 asap, and they're out. All I've been
      >able to find
      >on-line are rhinestoned pageant crowns. Can anyone help?
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >Donna

      "Those Who Fail to Learn History
      Are Doomed to Repeat It;
      Why They Are Simply Doomed."

      Achemdro'hm
      "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
      -- C. Y. 4971

      Andromeda
    • lanorte1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
        Thanks Sandy - I was hoping to find something ready-made, as we open Oct. 2
        and have a LOT of work to do between now and then, but I'm afraid it may
        come down to this. Thanks for your help,

        Donna

        In a message dated 9/20/2009 10:02:47 PM Central Standard Time,
        costumrs@... writes:

        Go to the hardware store and get a sheet of the gold-colored metal
        that is used to cover air ducts. It's a sheet about 30" x 36", and
        comes in several patterns of pierced holes. You can cut strips of it
        with snips or really heavy duty shears (not your sewing shears!) and
        wire or pop-rivet them into a circle. Glue a thin strip of felt or
        craft foam inside for cushioning and to protect the actor from the
        sharp edge. You can wire beads to it or glue jewels to it if you
        need more bling. Run a thin bead of hot glue or white glue along the
        rest of the cut edges to dull the sharpness. We've made 3 crowns
        this way. You can create things even more elaborate than plain
        circlets, even, and one sheet can make several crowns. I think the
        sheets cost $10 or less.

        Donna Northcott
        Artistic Director
        St. Louis Shakespeare & Magic Smoking Monkey Theatre
        4579 Laclede Avenue, # 345
        St. Louis, MO 63108
        (314) 361-5664

      • Paula McWhirter-Buck
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
          tudorshoppe.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 20, 2009
            In a message dated 9/20/2009 10:34:39 PM Central Standard Time,
            keridwyn_98@... writes:

            tudorshoppe.tud

            Thanks!

            Donna

          • cloakmakerusa
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
              Gee, I thought we were better known than this - I'll have to work on advertising...

              http://www.cloakmaker.com/circlethook.html

              It's a busy day, so you might get the answering machine if you call, but we return calls fairly promptly.

              Dina Flockhart
              Creative Impulse Director
              Cloak & Dagger Creations
              978-486-4414

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

              > Thanks Sandy - I was hoping to find something ready-made, as we open Oct. 2
              > and have a LOT of work to do between now and then, but I'm afraid it may
              > come down to this. Thanks for your help,
              >
              > Donna
              >
              > In a message dated 9/20/2009 10:02:47 PM Central Standard Time,
              > costumrs@... writes:
              >
              > Go to the hardware store and get a sheet of the gold-colored metal
              > that is used to cover air ducts. It's a sheet about 30" x 36", and
              > comes in several patterns of pierced holes. You can cut strips of it
              > with snips or really heavy duty shears (not your sewing shears!) and
              > wire or pop-rivet them into a circle. Glue a thin strip of felt or
              > craft foam inside for cushioning and to protect the actor from the
              > sharp edge. You can wire beads to it or glue jewels to it if you
              > need more bling. Run a thin bead of hot glue or white glue along the
              > rest of the cut edges to dull the sharpness. We've made 3 crowns
              > this way. You can create things even more elaborate than plain
              > circlets, even, and one sheet can make several crowns. I think the
              > sheets cost $10 or less.
              >

              > Donna Northcott
              > Artistic Director
              > St. Louis Shakespeare & Magic Smoking Monkey Theatre
              > 4579 Laclede Avenue, # 345
              > St. Louis, MO 63108
              > (314) 361-5664

            • sonia roman
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
                Hi...

                Are you still looking for crowns??

                Can you send me a picture or a link for reference??

                how many?  how soon?  how specific??

                Sonia

                From: Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...>
                Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for crowns
                To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Monday, September 21, 2009, 12:34 AM

                tudorshoppe. com

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 21, 2009
                  In a message dated 9/21/2009 7:31:52 PM Central Standard Time,
                  sonai1121@... writes:

                  Are you still looking for crowns??

                  Can you send me a picture or a link for reference??

                  how many? how soon? how specific??

                  Very plain and simple gold circlets, about 1/2" to 1" wide, a full circle
                  rather than a partial which ties in the back with ribbon or chain. I've
                  attached a photo of one from The Tudor Shoppe which would be fine, except
                  they're back-ordered and won't be available soon enough. The production opens
                  October 2, so we need them at least a few days prior for dress rehearsal. I
                  could use 4, depending on the price. Thanks!

                  Donna

                • sonai1121
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 22, 2009
                    OK...I can do this for you... I'm thinking a wirebound crown padded and covered in "Lame"? or do you prefer something metallic??

                    Let's get to work... Sonia.