"perspiration" paint

  • liahansen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2009
      We're doing a production of "12 Angry Jurors" and the director said when she saw the touring production a couple of years ago in LA they used some type of product/process so the men looked like they had been perspiring. Does anyone know how to achieve that in a way that will not damage vintage/rented garments? Our own dress shirts can be disposable.
    • GCKidd
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2009
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "liahansen" <lia.hansen@...> wrote:

        > We're doing a production of "12 Angry Jurors" and the director said when she saw the touring production a couple of years ago in LA they used some type of product/process so the men looked like they had been perspiring. Does anyone know how to achieve that in a way that will not damage vintage/rented garments? Our own dress shirts can be disposable.

        At a guess, I would say use glycerine...it's cheap, it evaporates very slowly, it washes/cleans easily from most fabrics, it's clear so it shouldn't stain or discolor...

        This is, as stated, just a guess. I've never actually used it for this purpose, but it's a common ingredient in a lot of other 'safe' compounds (it's one of the more common lubricating ingredients of a lot of eye drops, for instance, and it's also commonly added to bubble compounds to make the bubbles last longer).
      • catslave54
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2009
          What you want to use is a Schmere crayon. It comes in a roll-on deodorant container; and it washes out! Find it here in a set: http://specialefxunltd.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SEUI&Product_Code=SK&Category_Code=DSDP OR here in singles : http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/cgi-wardrobesupplies/sb/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*183d8198c44e05ae8061b4774104. It's kind of spendy, but not if you consider that any distressing you do will come out of the garment and therefore the costume can be used for another show. Elizabeth
        • KEVIN LARSEN
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
            You can make the stains permanent in the dress shirts so that you can wash them, without having to reapply distress before every show. I take a spray bottle and a mixture of half water, half bleach. Wet the shirt first so that you don't get blotchy spots of "color". Spray under the arms and around the inside of the collar. Make sure to test on a scrap shirt first for the strength of the bleach solution and the amount of spraying you do. It won't look like much at first but as it dries it gets much yellower. Have fun. I love distressing!!! Check out my blog at www.mysillybluehippo.blogspot.com<http://www.mysillybluehippo.blogspot.com/> and you can see some zombies I did last year.

          • Brandie
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
              Sylvia, Go to August posts and then Halloweenies. They looked really good with their makeup on during the show, but this was a picture from a photo shoot. Still I think you get the picture. :) Brandie:)