First Victorian

  • harper_1_2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2009
      I am beginning a project of making up Simplicity 7215 Victorian chemise and corset:

      http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=5748

      This will be my first real attempt at the Victorian era. I do not yet have a dress pattern in mind to go over it. Any suggestions for a first Victorian dress pattern? I usually purchase Big 3 patterns, but am willing to look at others for this. I am an intermediate costume sewer, but have mainly done fantasy and Elizabethan/Ren garb.

      Additionally, I would like to make something for my husband to wear to go with my wearing of this when it is finished. I am not sure if I want to do a Civil War uniform, but do not know what else would be appropriate for the period (drawing a complete blank here.)

      No particular event is in mind, other than perhaps Halloween at our local Arts Center evening. I do this mainly for the education.
    • Valancy Gilliam
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
        The museums I worked for always used Simply Victorian's patterns at
        http://www.simplyvictorian.com Fairly accurate, not overly difficult to
        understand if you know sewing lingo and one simple dress can easily be made
        in a day if you go slow. I've done some of the simpler outfits in an
        evening and I'm probably a little below intermediate. For the corset, I
        actually took a corset making class where we made the pattern from scratch
        to our form, so I can't be much help there. I could probably dig up the
        instructions from the class but I'm not sure what sense they would make...

      • lanorte1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2009
          I'm looking for a source for aglets (aka, aigullettes, cording points).? The only one I've found so far was in England and considering the exchange rate, the cost would be close to $1 each, not counting shipping.? I need a fairly large supply, so I'm hoping to find a better deal...or even a source in this country.? Can anyone help?

          Thanks

          Donna

          .

        • Vagabond_Aero