Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] tape for draping?

  • Andrea aka Hunny
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
      Sylvia's the BEST!

      cotton style tape, they called it in school at FIT.

      What book are you learning from Sam, isnt draping FUN?

      Another technique a teacher teach us , was buying a cheap ...whatever, t'shirt, bathing suit... jeans, using a seam ripper... take it completely apart, study how each piece relates to another and put it back together.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
        Thanks so much for clearing that up for me! I'm using draping for apparel design by Helen Joseph-Armstrong. I believe it was here that someone suggested it. It is a fantastic book very clear illustrations I am very excited. I am a costumer by trade and have sewn for about 40 years always using patterns but watching Project Runway showed me draping and I had been searching for a way to learn that for some time.

        I did find a class in pattern making but wasn't able to attend it. I've just started learning about marking the dress form, I only have one of the adjustable ones but have promised myself a real form when I get through the basics of the book!
        SAM

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Andrea aka Hunny <hunnyb8975@...> wrote:

        > Sylvia's the BEST!
        >
        > cotton style tape, they called it in school at FIT.
        >
        > What book are you learning from Sam, isnt draping FUN?
        >
        > Another technique a teacher teach us , was buying a cheap ...whatever, t'shirt, bathing suit... jeans, using a seam ripper... take it completely apart, study how each piece relates to another and put it back together.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • gbreed2001
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
          I used Draping tape to teach draping.

          I order it from Atlanta Thread, It only comes in red and black, and is $6.50 for a pack of two rolls one of each color. I like it because the students can see it, and it does not leave a residue on the dress form unless baked in the sun or heat.

          http://store.atlantathread.com/prdrtafordrf.html

          is the Link.

          Hope this helps.

          Glenn A. Breed
          Professor of Costume Design/Technology
          University of West Florida
          www.uwf.edu/theatre/backstage

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "gsbse1" <gsbse1@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to learn draping using a book and they say to mark reference points with tape but I haven't been able to figure out what kind of tape it is and where I could find it. any help would be greatly appreciated!
          > SAM

        • Robbin Davis
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2009
            I've always used flat soutache braid/tape. It has a center groove that you can bury the head of the pins in when you pin it to the bodyform.