Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] tape for draping?

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
      Twill tape. You just pin it on the mannequin.

      On Aug 28, 2009, at 5:34 AM, gsbse1 wrote:

      > I'm trying to learn draping using a book and they say to mark
      > reference points with tape but I haven't been able to figure out
      > what kind of tape it is and where I could find it. any help would
      > be greatly appreciated!
      > SAM

      Sylvia Rognstad
      www.ezzyworld.com

    • Kelley Maxfield
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
        Check Threads magazine Number 141 march 2009 pg 60. Gives great details on how the basic draping starts.
        Kelley

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
          Sylvia's the BEST!

          cotton style tape, they called it in school at FIT.

          What book are you learning from Sam, isnt draping FUN?

          Another technique a teacher teach us , was buying a cheap ...whatever, t'shirt, bathing suit... jeans, using a seam ripper... take it completely apart, study how each piece relates to another and put it back together.

          ________________________________
          Twill tape. You just pin it on the mannequin.

          On Aug 28, 2009, at 5:34 AM, gsbse1 wrote:

          > I'm trying to learn draping using a book and they say to mark
          > reference points with tape but I haven't been able to figure out
          > what kind of tape it is and where I could find it. any help would
          > be greatly appreciated!
          > SAM

          Sylvia Rognstad
          www.ezzyworld. com

        • gsbse1
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
            Thanks so much for clearing that up for me! I'm using draping for apparel design by Helen Joseph-Armstrong. I believe it was here that someone suggested it. It is a fantastic book very clear illustrations I am very excited. I am a costumer by trade and have sewn for about 40 years always using patterns but watching Project Runway showed me draping and I had been searching for a way to learn that for some time.

            I did find a class in pattern making but wasn't able to attend it. I've just started learning about marking the dress form, I only have one of the adjustable ones but have promised myself a real form when I get through the basics of the book!
            SAM

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Andrea aka Hunny <hunnyb8975@...> wrote:

            > Sylvia's the BEST!
            >
            > cotton style tape, they called it in school at FIT.
            >
            > What book are you learning from Sam, isnt draping FUN?
            >
            > Another technique a teacher teach us , was buying a cheap ...whatever, t'shirt, bathing suit... jeans, using a seam ripper... take it completely apart, study how each piece relates to another and put it back together.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • gbreed2001
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
              I used Draping tape to teach draping.

              I order it from Atlanta Thread, It only comes in red and black, and is $6.50 for a pack of two rolls one of each color. I like it because the students can see it, and it does not leave a residue on the dress form unless baked in the sun or heat.

              http://store.atlantathread.com/prdrtafordrf.html

              is the Link.

              Hope this helps.

              Glenn A. Breed
              Professor of Costume Design/Technology
              University of West Florida
              www.uwf.edu/theatre/backstage

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "gsbse1" <gsbse1@...> wrote:

              > I'm trying to learn draping using a book and they say to mark reference points with tape but I haven't been able to figure out what kind of tape it is and where I could find it. any help would be greatly appreciated!
              > SAM

            • Robbin Davis
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2009
                I've always used flat soutache braid/tape. It has a center groove that you can bury the head of the pins in when you pin it to the bodyform.