tape for draping?

  • gsbse1
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
      I'm trying to learn draping using a book and they say to mark reference points with tape but I haven't been able to figure out what kind of tape it is and where I could find it. any help would be greatly appreciated!
      SAM
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
        Twill tape. You just pin it on the mannequin.

        On Aug 28, 2009, at 5:34 AM, gsbse1 wrote:

        > I'm trying to learn draping using a book and they say to mark
        > reference points with tape but I haven't been able to figure out
        > what kind of tape it is and where I could find it. any help would
        > be greatly appreciated!
        > SAM

        Sylvia Rognstad
        www.ezzyworld.com

      • Kelley Maxfield
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
          Check Threads magazine Number 141 march 2009 pg 60. Gives great details on how the basic draping starts.
          Kelley

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
            Sylvia's the BEST!

            cotton style tape, they called it in school at FIT.

            What book are you learning from Sam, isnt draping FUN?

            Another technique a teacher teach us , was buying a cheap ...whatever, t'shirt, bathing suit... jeans, using a seam ripper... take it completely apart, study how each piece relates to another and put it back together.

            ________________________________
            Twill tape. You just pin it on the mannequin.

            On Aug 28, 2009, at 5:34 AM, gsbse1 wrote:

            > I'm trying to learn draping using a book and they say to mark
            > reference points with tape but I haven't been able to figure out
            > what kind of tape it is and where I could find it. any help would
            > be greatly appreciated!
            > SAM

            Sylvia Rognstad
            www.ezzyworld. com

          • gsbse1
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
              Thanks so much for clearing that up for me! I'm using draping for apparel design by Helen Joseph-Armstrong. I believe it was here that someone suggested it. It is a fantastic book very clear illustrations I am very excited. I am a costumer by trade and have sewn for about 40 years always using patterns but watching Project Runway showed me draping and I had been searching for a way to learn that for some time.

              I did find a class in pattern making but wasn't able to attend it. I've just started learning about marking the dress form, I only have one of the adjustable ones but have promised myself a real form when I get through the basics of the book!
              SAM

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Andrea aka Hunny <hunnyb8975@...> wrote:

              > Sylvia's the BEST!
              >
              > cotton style tape, they called it in school at FIT.
              >
              > What book are you learning from Sam, isnt draping FUN?
              >
              > Another technique a teacher teach us , was buying a cheap ...whatever, t'shirt, bathing suit... jeans, using a seam ripper... take it completely apart, study how each piece relates to another and put it back together.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • gbreed2001
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2009
                I used Draping tape to teach draping.

                I order it from Atlanta Thread, It only comes in red and black, and is $6.50 for a pack of two rolls one of each color. I like it because the students can see it, and it does not leave a residue on the dress form unless baked in the sun or heat.

                http://store.atlantathread.com/prdrtafordrf.html

                is the Link.

                Hope this helps.

                Glenn A. Breed
                Professor of Costume Design/Technology
                University of West Florida
                www.uwf.edu/theatre/backstage

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "gsbse1" <gsbse1@...> wrote:

                > I'm trying to learn draping using a book and they say to mark reference points with tape but I haven't been able to figure out what kind of tape it is and where I could find it. any help would be greatly appreciated!
                > SAM

              • Robbin Davis
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2009
                  I've always used flat soutache braid/tape. It has a center groove that you can bury the head of the pins in when you pin it to the bodyform.