Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Sewing nylon or spandex.

  • Claudia Hill
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2009
      Zephyr,

      Sew it on your sewing machine using a slight zigzag stitch with a sharp needle if the fabric is woven or a ball point needle if the fabric is knit.  This will allow the seams to give to the stretch without breaking the thread.

      Use regular good quality polyester thread just as you would on any fabric containing man-made fiber and be careful not to stretch the fabric as you sew, which will cause the seam to pucker.  Attach the zipper the same way as you do any zipper, but be sure you need one.  If the fabric you are using has more that a 50% stretch across the grain you can put the finished garment on without it.

      As for nylon hose material, I don't think it can be purchased as yardage.  I believe that nylon hose (the kind you put on your legs, not the kind you water the garden through) are woven into hose shape and only sewn at the toe.  There are many kinds of sheer and stretchy fabric you can purchase--georgette, chiffon, etc, that might serve your purpose.  I shop for most of my fabrics at www.fabric.com .  They have a live question-answering service that might be able to help you choose an appropriate fabric.

      Claudia

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2009
        I sew lycra body suits for our dance studio, but I haven't put a zipper in
        one. A pattern like Kwik Sew will have all the info you need. I use regular
        thread and serger thread. The serged seams can be three thread or four
        thread. The arm, neck and leg holes get 3/8 inch elastic. I've experimented
        with lighter elastics, but in the end regular braided (not knit) elastic
        gives the best shape and fit. I zig zag the elastic to the edge of the
        fabric, then turn over and use a double-needle seam to finish it (most
        conventional machines that will do a zig zag will accept a double needle, I
        think.).

        The trick with sewing the elastic on is to stretch the elastic to fit the
        armhole, and to never stretch the fabric (or you'll get gaping wonky
        armholes). If you the armhole or leghole comes out fitting too tight you can
        ease the fit by taking half or more of the elastic out and reapplying it
        less stretched (add a piece of elastic in to make up the difference in
        length).

        On the leg holes I stretch the elastic more in the back than in the front
        for a better fit (so it turns out more gathered in the back).

        On the armholes I put a bit more gather in the armpit than on the shoulder.

        For lighter fabrics I line the fabric. To keep everything straight I zigzag
        each lining piece to each outer-fabric piece, just catching the edge of the
        fabric with a long stitch (this will get cut off in the serger).

        Hope that helps.

        Marnie

      • Sterling
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 15, 2009
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "zephyrvrym" <zephyrvrym@...> wrote:

          > Hi, just a little info. I want to work with elastic materials for the creation of a body suit. How do I stitch it. Can I do it on a machine or is it hands only. Do I need elastic thread or regular. Do I need to streach it out as I sew and how much do you need to hem to hold a seam. And how is a zipper attached. and where can I get nylon-hose material, is it available in bolts. well any info will help. Love Ya Later.

          Standard seem allowances. Aside from using a zig-zag or a stretch stitch I generally don't do much differently. Which is your decision. Try it on a peice and make sure you like the look. Zig-zag worked great for hems, but gave my project a weird puckerd look on some of the seams. I would not stretch out as I sewed.

          As for zippers, I've made several dive skins with zipper and didn't run into any problems with that either. Just do it like any other. (pssst, Wondertape is your friend.)

          The fabric is a bit slippery so, extra pinning, wonder tape, or a walking foot might be nice. Also, they don't take an iron worth a darn. So, don't count on pressing anything.

          Sterling
          92.5% Pure
        • geneiak
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2009
            also lay fabric out flat on cutting table the night b4 you plan to cut to allow it to relax-
            and do NOT allow fabric to hang off table when cutting as it will stretch and then what is cut will be smaller than you need-

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sterling" <dailylunatic@...> wrote:

            > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "zephyrvrym" <zephyrvrym@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, just a little info. I want to work with elastic materials for the creation of a body suit. How do I stitch it. Can I do it on a machine or is it hands only. Do I need elastic thread or regular. Do I need to streach it out as I sew and how much do you need to hem to hold a seam. And how is a zipper attached. and where can I get nylon-hose material, is it available in bolts. well any info will help. Love Ya Later.
            > >
            > Standard seem allowances. Aside from using a zig-zag or a stretch stitch I generally don't do much differently. Which is your decision. Try it on a peice and make sure you like the look. Zig-zag worked great for hems, but gave my project a weird puckerd look on some of the seams. I would not stretch out as I sewed.
            >
            > As for zippers, I've made several dive skins with zipper and didn't run into any problems with that either. Just do it like any other. (pssst, Wondertape is your friend.)
            >
            > The fabric is a bit slippery so, extra pinning, wonder tape, or a walking foot might be nice. Also, they don't take an iron worth a darn. So, don't count on pressing anything.
            >
            > Sterling
            > 92.5% Pure

          • sonia roman
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2009
              sewing stretch fabric can be tricky...if you have a zig zag..make it a very small zig zag...i have found that a serger works best, you can also sew the seam with a thin elastic, stretching (a little)as you sew....  good luck