Re: Edwardian gown help

  • Robbin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2009
      I agree that it is a lawn/tea dress to be worn in the spring and summer time. It's likely made from batiste, a fine cotton. Other fabric options would have been lawn or organdy.

      The Edwardian silhouette is classified as such because of the droopy pouch in the front of blouses and dresses - sort of a backwards "S" shape when including the bustle. The back might have a bit of poof to it, but the front is much more so. Ideally the opening would have been in the back, as ladies of this class and distinction would have had someone else who dressed her. If it was a blouse, the opening would have been covered by a jacket. I don't believe vests were popular at this time as it would have ruined the line of the popular silhouette.

      A couple of pictures that might be helpful for reference:
      http://www.1860-1960.com/xa4381p0.html
      http://www.victoriana.com/edwardianfashions/edwardiandresses.php

      This said, there is always that odd exception to the rule!

      Hope this helps.

      Respectfully,
      Robbin