Re: Am I missing something?

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2009
      What about a drawstring taped lines down the seams? When it is drawn up it looks like a swag valance, then when released (would have to have weights on the hem) it would hang flat.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "darkling2b" <fuzzyotter@...> wrote:

      > I'm working with a director I've never worked with before on a production of Grease in the fall. I emailed him last week to ask him if, before I went too far ahead with my plans, he had any particular costume wants or concerns. I received the following re: Sandy's costume for the top of the 2nd act:
      > "an outfit that looks like babydoll pj's..pink or white, or even yellow, but has a skirt to it. The skirt would have to be a very light material so that it can be rolled up to the waist and tied there. perhaps the shorts section could have ruffles to help camouflage the rolled up skirt. She would look like she is wearing babydolls until you pulled on the ties which would release the skirt to fall down below knee length, and now she would look like she is wearing a dress and ready for the prom, which she will enter for the instrumental section of "Raining..." in a dream sequence. Also great big fluffy bunny slippers (or the like) which could go over her dance shoes, velcroed in place at the back, so they can be pulled off as well."
      >
      > Ie-mailed back saying that the dream scene idea sounded great, but I was concerned as to how the fitted bodice and crinoline silhouette one expects for a prom dress would work with his idea of rolledup fabric. Last night I had a brief meeting with him and presented other quick transformation ideas including breakaway stuff, change done in a blackout, etc., all things that could probably be accomplished in 5 or 6 seconds. He is however very committed to his idea of untying some bows on the costume which then becomes a full dress. He mentioned like a sheer ballet dress, so I think perhaps he means a Juliet-style empire line. I'm still having a really hard time with the idea of rolledup fabric as no matter how fine the fabric I see it creating a funny bump in the line of the baby dolls at the hem, and then the ruffled shorts creating an even funnier line at the derriere under the dress when it is released to full lenght. Help! Any ideas? Is there something here I am missing?

    • darkling2b
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2009
        Thanks for responding. I think it is going to have to be something along those lines, but I am afraid it's going to make odd looking baby doll pj's!

        Turns out that it won't be the actor herself releasing whatever the mechanism is as she will be clinging to a revolving door, so her hands won't be free. I think this would also mean that it will be a little difficult for the whoever is trying to release the fabric as only her back will be accessible. I guess all I can do is build a prototype and see how it goes.