Costumer needed!

  • caryneska
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6 12:08 PM
      I have costumed for LVO before and it is a top-shelf organization!
      Due to costuming for ballet and my own artwear business, I can't take it on, but wanted to get this posted as it is a wonderful opportunity.
      Best, Caryne:

      Livermore Valley Opera Needing an experienced Costume Designer!
      Production: Cavalleria Rusticana in the period of around 1910 and Pagliacci in the period of around 1935
      Performance Dates: October 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 2009 at the new Bankhead Theater (500 seats)
      Compensation: Designer Fee: $2,000.00; Materials and drycleaning: $3,000.00. A small allowance for a stitcher.
      Can provide housing if needed.
      Need to submit resume.
      Contact: Raquel Holt - Email: 2raqholt@...
      www.livermorevalleyopera.org
    • llsturts@greatlakes.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6 3:16 PM
        I'm going to be giving a talk to the students of a local cosmetology
        school. As a group, they are very interested in theater--because they did
        such a good service for me last week on a production of "High School
        Musical" I agreed to give the talk. One thing I want to include is a list
        of training schools to do hair for the theater and movies. I figured if
        there were makeup schools, there would be the same for hairstylists--above
        the normal training and certification. I don't know if I'm using the right
        search parameters or what, but I'm not coming up with the information I'm
        seeking. Anyone got any ideas or know of programs?

        Thanks in advance,

        ~lisa.s
        --

        *llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7 1:55 AM
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

          I figured if
          > there were makeup schools, there would be the same for hairstylists--above
          > the normal training and certification. I don't know if I'm using the right
          > search parameters or what, but I'm not coming up with the information I'm
          > seeking. Anyone got any ideas or know of programs?

          Actually, most of the people I know who have studied hair did so at cosmetology schools--in fact, in at least one specific instance I know of, the man in question had to complete a cosmetology program in order to get his final approval for acceptance to the makeup artists' union in NY (this was not, 'needed cosmetology training'...he needed to complete the whole course of study at a cosmetology school. I'm not sure if he was searching for a specific 'qualification level' or whatever...but that was part of the requirements for what he was looking to do, professionally).

          Of course, there are different grades of cosmetology school, just as there are different grades of makeup schools...you can go to a school that will teach you the basics of hair care--or you can go to a school that runs you out to the cutting edge (no pun intended) and teaches you all kinds of techniques above and beyond the basic application of scissors and clippers (most cosmetology schools in this area, for instance, don't teach their students razor techniques, although it's a popular method for some of the higher-end salons. SOMEONE has to teach it, somewhere...)

          (The remaining few not covered by 'most' in my first paragraph have actually either been self-taught or picked it up in bits and pieces from other people they've worked with...that's kind of the state I'm at, right now.)

          I'm not saying that there aren't such programs in place somewhere...just that nobody I know has ever even made passing mention of them, in my recollection. You could be hard-pressed to find anything to recommend, in terms of hair-only programs...though I'm under the impression that many of the better makeup schools also teach quite a bit about hair (mainly about how to achieve certain styles, not so much about cutting it and maintaining it...)
        • llsturts@greatlakes.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11 11:24 AM
            I'm needing to work up a rental form. I know there are several examples in
            the files on the Yahoo Groups home page for CostumersManifesto, but for
            some reason only known to Yahoo, I can't access the the page. They tell me
            I'm not a member of this Group. So I'm hoping someone can help by sharing
            their rental forms.

            Thanks,

            ~lisa.s

            --