Edwardian gown help

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2009
      I bought an Sheer Edwardian gown that I need help with what would you do with it. Hopefully, I will have pictures up soon... under Edwardian help. I want to resale it with accurate descriptions after I take a pattern off of it.

      As I said it is sheer white, and there are tiny tuck pleats all over the back and front of the "pigeon" chest. The pleats are carried over into the head of the sleeve and the hem and ruffle of the gown. There is a slight train on the skirt, made by the insert. I thought it might be along the lines of a lingerie dress, but it doesn't seem to fit that well. And it seems too well maintained and not decorated enough.

      So what do you think they did with it? Was it just a layer of underwear? Or was there and over piece that this showed parts of? Or... You get the idea.

      Thank you,
      Kimberly
    • Valancy Gilliam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2009
        Hmmm, I'm thinking it would need a picture to verify. It depends on the
        fabric..from your description of the fabric it's either underthings or
        possibly a sheer outer layer for summer wear. They would still have plenty
        of underthings to keep anything 'vital' from showing. (grin) Post the
        photos, I'd love to see them!

        On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Kimberly <syrilla27@...> wrote:

        > I bought an Sheer Edwardian gown that I need help with what would you do
        > with it. Hopefully, I will have pictures up soon... under Edwardian help. I
        > want to resale it with accurate descriptions after I take a pattern off of
        > it.
        >
        > As I said it is sheer white, and there are tiny tuck pleats all over the
        > back and front of the "pigeon" chest. The pleats are carried over into the
        > head of the sleeve and the hem and ruffle of the gown. There is a slight
        > train on the skirt, made by the insert. I thought it might be along the
        > lines of a lingerie dress, but it doesn't seem to fit that well. And it
        > seems too well maintained and not decorated enough.
        >
        > So what do you think they did with it? Was it just a layer of underwear? Or
        > was there and over piece that this showed parts of? Or... You get the idea.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Kimberly

      • darkling2b
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
          It's a summer dress, and would be particularly pretty with an underlay of peach or blue or something, although originally the undergarments might have been all white. In any case, it is to be worn over, not under.

          -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly" <syrilla27@...> wrote:

          > I bought an Sheer Edwardian gown that I need help with what would you do with it. Hopefully, I will have pictures up soon... under Edwardian help. I want to resale it with accurate descriptions after I take a pattern off of it.
          >
          > As I said it is sheer white, and there are tiny tuck pleats all over the back and front of the "pigeon" chest. The pleats are carried over into the head of the sleeve and the hem and ruffle of the gown. There is a slight train on the skirt, made by the insert. I thought it might be along the lines of a lingerie dress, but it doesn't seem to fit that well. And it seems too well maintained and not decorated enough.
          >
          > So what do you think they did with it? Was it just a layer of underwear? Or was there and over piece that this showed parts of? Or... You get the idea.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Kimberly

        • Kimberly
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009
            The shirt/bodice front isn't tucked and fully as the back. Would a vest or some such be worn over it?

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "darkling2b" <fuzzyotter@...> wrote:

            > It's a summer dress, and would be particularly pretty with an underlay of peach or blue or something, although originally the undergarments might have been all white. In any case, it is to be worn over, not under.
            >
            > -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly" <syrilla27@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I bought an Sheer Edwardian gown that I need help with what would you do with it. Hopefully, I will have pictures up soon... under Edwardian help. I want to resale it with accurate descriptions after I take a pattern off of it.
            > >
            > > As I said it is sheer white, and there are tiny tuck pleats all over the back and front of the "pigeon" chest. The pleats are carried over into the head of the sleeve and the hem and ruffle of the gown. There is a slight train on the skirt, made by the insert. I thought it might be along the lines of a lingerie dress, but it doesn't seem to fit that well. And it seems too well maintained and not decorated enough.
            > >
            > > So what do you think they did with it? Was it just a layer of underwear? Or was there and over piece that this showed parts of? Or... You get the idea.
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > > Kimberly

          • darkling2b
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2009
              Are you sure you have front and back sorted out correctly? The buttons were more than likely down the front.

              -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly" <syrilla27@...> wrote:

              > The shirt/bodice front isn't tucked and fully as the back. Would a vest or some such be worn over it?
              >
              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "darkling2b" <fuzzyotter@> wrote:
              > >
              > > It's a summer dress, and would be particularly pretty with an underlay of peach or blue or something, although originally the undergarments might have been all white. In any case, it is to be worn over, not under.
              > >
              > > -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly" <syrilla27@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I bought an Sheer Edwardian gown that I need help with what would you do with it. Hopefully, I will have pictures up soon... under Edwardian help. I want to resale it with accurate descriptions after I take a pattern off of it.
              > > >
              > > > As I said it is sheer white, and there are tiny tuck pleats all over the back and front of the "pigeon" chest. The pleats are carried over into the head of the sleeve and the hem and ruffle of the gown. There is a slight train on the skirt, made by the insert. I thought it might be along the lines of a lingerie dress, but it doesn't seem to fit that well. And it seems too well maintained and not decorated enough.
              > > >
              > > > So what do you think they did with it? Was it just a layer of underwear? Or was there and over piece that this showed parts of? Or... You get the idea.
              > > >
              > > > Thank you,
              > > > Kimberly

            • Kimberly
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2009
                In the picture the shirt is on the form backwards (I didn't take it). But yes, the buttons would be down the front as there is also the small amount of gathering for the piegon chest.
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "darkling2b" <fuzzyotter@...> wrote:

                > Are you sure you have front and back sorted out correctly? The buttons were more than likely down the front.
                >
                > -- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly" <syrilla27@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The shirt/bodice front isn't tucked and fully as the back. Would a vest or some such be worn over it?
                > >
                > > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "darkling2b" <fuzzyotter@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > It's a summer dress, and would be particularly pretty with an underlay of peach or blue or something, although originally the undergarments might have been all white. In any case, it is to be worn over, not under.

              • Robbin
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2009
                  I agree that it is a lawn/tea dress to be worn in the spring and summer time. It's likely made from batiste, a fine cotton. Other fabric options would have been lawn or organdy.

                  The Edwardian silhouette is classified as such because of the droopy pouch in the front of blouses and dresses - sort of a backwards "S" shape when including the bustle. The back might have a bit of poof to it, but the front is much more so. Ideally the opening would have been in the back, as ladies of this class and distinction would have had someone else who dressed her. If it was a blouse, the opening would have been covered by a jacket. I don't believe vests were popular at this time as it would have ruined the line of the popular silhouette.

                  A couple of pictures that might be helpful for reference:
                  http://www.1860-1960.com/xa4381p0.html
                  http://www.victoriana.com/edwardianfashions/edwardiandresses.php

                  This said, there is always that odd exception to the rule!

                  Hope this helps.

                  Respectfully,
                  Robbin