reversible jacket

  • wendylstarn@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16 6:16 AM
      I haven't made a doublet, but have made a number of pieced reversible
      jackets. Here's how I make them almost entirely by machine. This is the same
      idea as :bagging: a jacket lining, adapted to make it reversible:

      1. Sew side A together, including setting in the sleeves.
      2. Sew side B together, same as side A, BUT leave about a 3 inch gap in
      one side seam for turning and about an 8 inch gap in the other side. I will
      call this the lining to avoid confusion.
      3. Sew both sides together all around the outer edges: neck edge, front
      opening edges, bottom edge. I like to insert piping along these edges for a
      smoother turn, but that's my preference, and I am not aiming for historical
      accuracy.
      take both right sleeves and pull them through the opening in the "lining"
      on that side. Fit them inside each other so that they can be sewn together
      at the wrist, being careful to align seams and checking to be sure that one
      sleeve is not twisted.
      4. Repeat with other sleeve.
      5. Turn right side out through larger seam opening.
      6. Pull edges of large opening through small opening and sew to complete
      the seam.
      7. sew up small opening by hand.

      It's important to trim bulk away from seams and notch seams for turning.
      A non-reversible option may be found here:

      _http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4366/bag-your-jacket-lining_
      (http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4366/bag-your-jacket-lining)

      Wendy L Starn
      Alexandria, Louisiana
      _http://public.fotki.com/wlstarn/_ (http://public.fotki.com/wlstarn/)
      (several examples in my wearables album)
      _http://splendiferousfiber.blogspot.com/_
      (http://splendiferousfiber.blogspot.com/)
      SplendiferousFiber.etsy.com
      **************Can love help you live longer? Find out now.