Re: Stays - bone or other

  • tumorfarmer
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2009
      Someone on Sew what's up mentioned that at Home Depot (or Lowe's) you can get heavy duty plastic wire wraps for boning in making corsets and such. I thought it was an idea worth writing down!
      Becky

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 8:43 PM
        we tried the plasti dip from the hardware on the cut ends of bones but didnt have great luck with that-
        but it did work in a pinch-
        the tip solution we were getting for a while from greenberg and hammer wasn't any good-

        retshopbuyer

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "tumorfarmer" <tumorfarmer@...> wrote:

        > Someone on Sew what's up mentioned that at Home Depot (or Lowe's) you can get heavy duty plastic wire wraps for boning in making corsets and such. I thought it was an idea worth writing down!
        > Becky

      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3 3:22 AM
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "tumorfarmer" <tumorfarmer@...> wrote:

          > Someone on Sew what's up mentioned that at Home Depot (or Lowe's) you can get heavy duty plastic wire wraps for boning in making corsets and such. I thought it was an idea worth writing down!

          It was also mentioned here...a long time ago (I'm pretty sure it was two or three years ago...it was a relatively old tip when I finally got around to trying it out a year and a half ago for the first time...) I've gotten a LOT of mileage out of that suggestion (I've had to replace/install boning in bustiers several times, also used the same concept to make some stand-up collars actually stand up the way the designer wanted them to...even though the company she bought the coats from never designed them to actually stand up like that...)

          I've used the wire ties...I've also used the super-duty ties designed for hanging heating ducts (which did wonderful things for my friend's corset!) I've also used the very long, skinny ones instead of milliner's wire for a couple of projects and been pretty pleased with the results. They aren't a universal solution, by any means...but they're pretty versatile!
        • fossil73
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4 6:17 AM
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@...> wrote:

            > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "tumorfarmer" <tumorfarmer@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Someone on Sew what's up mentioned that at Home Depot (or Lowe's) you can get heavy duty plastic wire wraps for boning in making corsets and such. I thought it was an idea worth writing down!
            >

            > It was also mentioned here...a long time ago (I'm pretty sure it was two or three years ago...it was a relatively old tip when I finally got around to trying it out a year and a half ago for the first time...) I've gotten a LOT of mileage out of that suggestion (I've had to replace/install boning in bustiers several times, also used the same concept to make some stand-up collars actually stand up the way the designer wanted them to...even though the company she bought the coats from never designed them to actually stand up like that...)
            >
            > I've used the wire ties...I've also used the super-duty ties designed for hanging heating ducts (which did wonderful things for my friend's corset!) I've also used the very long, skinny ones instead of milliner's wire for a couple of projects and been pretty pleased with the results. They aren't a universal solution, by any means...but they're pretty versatile!

            In addition to those plastic wire wraps for boning and to make high collars and the like stand up.......you might also consider using FOSSHAPE. If you're not aware, it's looks like a soft white felt material, but when exposed to heat and pressure will become really stiff and smooth. Just use a hot air gun, costume steamer or steam iron. Also dyeable. FOSSHAPE as sold by the 48" yard is available through Dazian Fabrics www.dazian.com and others. Feel free to contact me and I would be glad to send a couple free samples swatches to play with and more info,
            Thermoman