Re: Star Wars costumes

  • mongrelmuppet
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
      Mind? No! Not at all! That's great. Most of my local contacts were of no help with this particular project, being more of the historical re-enactment and less of the futuristic or movie type. A costumer's guild that's into sci-fi could be exactly what I need. I'll look forward to their suggestions. Thanks!

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kat Hannon <lotsakats1@...> wrote:

      > Hi mongrelmuppet, I hope you don't mind but I've forwarded your request to my local Costumers Guild. I think between their members they have attended Every Science Fiction Convention Ever Held *lol* If anyone can offer assistance it would be them..
      >
      > =^.^=
      >
      > "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
      > It would improve the man,
      > but it would deteriorate the cat."
      > Mark Twain
      > Please note that Mark Twain specified
      > that the cross would improve the MAN,
      > no need to include women in that.
      > Women and cats are perfect as is.

    • rebecca bunny flower
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
        This page has some good illustrations and pattern suggestions:
        http://www.padawansguide.com/robe.shtml

        I have used some African-type sewing patterns in the past for Jedi clothing,
        but I think they are long out of print.

        Hope this helps!
        Rebecca

        2009/6/1 mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@...>

        > Good day to all.
        >
        > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me
        > some bits of helpful advice.
        >
        > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star
        > Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of
        > attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world.
        > They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you
        > might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and
        > lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need
        > some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research
        > time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the
        > knowledge base I find I need for this project.
        >
        > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I
        > can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or
        > website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so
        > far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi
        > robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier
        > if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I
        > won't be able to make from scratch as well.
        >
        > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
        >
        > Cheers!

      • mongrelmuppet
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009
          Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. I, too, have met some of the community-based Star Wars groups (along with a lot of the Klingon ones) and agree they are usually great groups of people.

          I'm not the greatest about getting pictures of my projects, but I always try. After all the fuss and bother, one of my other contacts came up with this fantastic site:

          http://www.jedi-robe.com/home.html

          as a reply to my request for info on where to buy the things I couldn't easily make (like the light sabers and boots.) They also sell what appears to be a really great and complete replica costume for an incredibly cheap price. My clients have ordered one to see what they look like up close, since I really don't think I can beat the price they are charging here, and it looks as if the quality will meet their needs. I'll likely continue to tinker with this whole concept on my own, though. They still might change their minds (at least one of them wants an outfit in forest green anyway, and one of them has other fitting issues that the pre-made version might not be able to accommodate) and you never know where an experiment might lead you.

          I'm going to have to watch the latest trilogy of movies again...I don't remember the Amidala with the globes...

          Thanks again to all who offered help.