labelling - addendum to an old post

  • Julia Trimarco
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2009
      "We used non-run poly/lycra snippets (1 inch square - ish) of
      different coloured or printed fabric for every characters' pieces and
      items right from the fabric stage, through the run. The actors
      learned their colour / pattern and that became the labelling"

      I've dressed at a theatre that has an arsenal of brightly colored ribbons in the wardrobe room - sometimes they are a solid color, sometimes they have a pattern. The ribbons are great for labelling all laundry, the actors get to know their ribbon (there is also a cheat sheet posted in the wardrobe room). Ribbons can be bought cheaply and locally whenever they are on clearance. This particular theatre had more than one space, and more than one show running concurrently, so ribbons would be bought in sets (all the polka dots for one show, all the stripes for the other). This worked with our relatively small casts, it might get tricky if you are talking "casts of thousands", like a big musical. For big shows I've always seen numbers assigned - then laundry gets labelled by sets (if you have duplicates, or even a third set, each set has a color). Numbers painted on the ribbon in fabric paint or puff paint are more visible and permanent than a sharpie or
      fabric marker.