Re: Costume exhibits

  • tjchatham
    Message 1 of 11 , May 21, 2009
      -

      > As a historical reenactor and interpreter in museums, I know for the
      > Victorian era, especially in the midwest, finding extant references to
      > actually look at, is difficult. Does anyone know of any collections, either
      > museum, university or private, that has decent clothing preserved from that
      > time period? Most of the museums I've worked at roughly dated between late
      > 1860s (post Civil War)-1920. We occasionally would have books that would
      > talk about fabrics available, patterns typical of the period, button styles,
      > etc. but to actually SEE the peices and look at construction even from a few
      > inches away and glass between us and it would have been so useful. We
      > dressed in everything from formal day attire to the workingman/woman's
      > clothes.

      You might look into Kent State University Museum in Kent OH, southeast of Cleveland.
      http://cleveland.about.com/od/fashion/p/ksumuseum.htm

      They have extensive collections, including Victorian fashions.
      Martha Pullen, the "queen" of modern heirloom sewing, wrote a two volume book on their Victorian fashions, and another one on Children's Fashions from the Victorian period based on her own and other's collections of vintage baby clothes. http://www.marthapullen.com/books/kentstate/
      http://www.marthapullen.com/books/kentstate2/index.html
      http://www.marthapullen.com/books/vintagebaby/
      Tess
    • Pam Richey