Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Star Wars costumes

  • Kat Hannon
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2009

      Sounds like she's already hit that alleycatscratch site. I've been on that site a few times myself and whereas it'a true that there is a ton of information, I find it almost impossible to decipher.

      =^.^=

      "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
      It would improve the man,
      but it would deteriorate the cat."
      Mark Twain
      Please note that Mark Twain specified
      that the cross would improve the MAN,
      no need to include women in that.
      Women and cats are perfect as is.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
        Thank you for the suggestion, but I have indeed found alleycatscratch. I've used them mainly for LOTR research, which they excel at, but for Star Wars? Not so much.
        I've also hit Padawan's Guide and Amber's Jedi Meditation Center and a few of the forum boards like Jedi Council etc. I just keep thinking there has to be a "golden" source or two out there that I'm missing somehow. I've never had trouble finding good solid info for most of my other sci-fi endeavors, but then, the ones I have attempted have all been things I've been very knowledgeable in myself. And if any of you have ever worked with sci-fi fans, you know they are easily the equivalent of SCA folk--they can get very very picky about "accuracy." (And I mean no disrespect by that. I AM one of those people myself to a certain degree.) My clients themselves are not so worried about this aspect, but they also need to interact with folk who are, and they can't look like they just pulled any old thing off the discount Halloween rack at Wal-mart. Plus, if this thing actually goes as far as they plan to take it, I could end up with a nice little credit for my resume, or at least a bit more word of mouth business.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kat Hannon <lotsakats1@...> wrote:

        > Sounds like she's already hit that alleycatscratch site. I've been on that site a few times myself and whereas it'a true that there is a ton of information, I find it almost impossible to decipher.
        >

        > =^.^=
        >
        > "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
        > It would improve the man,
        > but it would deteriorate the cat."
        > Mark Twain
        > Please note that Mark Twain specified
        > that the cross would improve the MAN,
        > no need to include women in that.
        > Women and cats are perfect as is.

      • mongrelmuppet
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
          Mind? No! Not at all! That's great. Most of my local contacts were of no help with this particular project, being more of the historical re-enactment and less of the futuristic or movie type. A costumer's guild that's into sci-fi could be exactly what I need. I'll look forward to their suggestions. Thanks!

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kat Hannon <lotsakats1@...> wrote:

          > Hi mongrelmuppet, I hope you don't mind but I've forwarded your request to my local Costumers Guild. I think between their members they have attended Every Science Fiction Convention Ever Held *lol* If anyone can offer assistance it would be them..
          >
          > =^.^=
          >
          > "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
          > It would improve the man,
          > but it would deteriorate the cat."
          > Mark Twain
          > Please note that Mark Twain specified
          > that the cross would improve the MAN,
          > no need to include women in that.
          > Women and cats are perfect as is.

        • rebecca bunny flower
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
            This page has some good illustrations and pattern suggestions:
            http://www.padawansguide.com/robe.shtml

            I have used some African-type sewing patterns in the past for Jedi clothing,
            but I think they are long out of print.

            Hope this helps!
            Rebecca

            2009/6/1 mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@...>

            > Good day to all.
            >
            > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me
            > some bits of helpful advice.
            >
            > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star
            > Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of
            > attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world.
            > They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you
            > might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and
            > lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need
            > some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research
            > time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the
            > knowledge base I find I need for this project.
            >
            > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I
            > can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or
            > website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so
            > far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi
            > robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier
            > if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I
            > won't be able to make from scratch as well.
            >
            > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
            >
            > Cheers!

          • mfun2003
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
              I used Simplicity 5840 View C to make a simple Jedi costume for a young cousin. Since it only came in adult sizes, I had to redraft the pattern to a child's size, but it wasn't too difficult since much of the pattern was based on simple shapes. As I recall, it was a pretty easy pattern to follow. I used a different pant pattern because I already had one in his size.

              Not sure how accurate it is, but it came out fine and my cousin enjoyed wearing it.

              Marge

              > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share?
            • Rebecca
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                I posted a reply earlier this morning, and it looks like it didn't go through either! So here it is again, and apologies if it's a double-posting.

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mongrelmuppet" <mongrelmuppet@...> wrote:

                > Good day to all.
                >
                > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.
                >
                > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.
                >
                > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.
                >
                > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
                >
                > Cheers!

              • catslave54
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                  Do you want to build them? Simplicity has several. View them at http://www.wookieehut.com/art/simplicitypatterns.html The envelopes have details on how to achieve the look.
                • mongrelmuppet
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                    Yes, I plan to build them. I haven't seen anything pre-made that won't be laughed right out of a convention hall. Or that is within our budget.

                    I had just found these, thanks to another kind suggestion from another group member. Unfortunately, they are all out of print for several years and if you can find them on the web, they are crazy expensive. I've got a bid in on the men's pattern on EBAY, but so far, I've been seeing these go for much higher than my clients can afford. From several other suggestions I've received so far, these are a good place to start, but require some modifying to come up to the standard I will need. I'm still open to other suggestions, in case I can't lay my hands on this one.

                    Thank you!

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54" <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

                    > Do you want to build them? Simplicity has several. View them at http://www.wookieehut.com/art/simplicitypatterns.html The envelopes have details on how to achieve the look.

                  • Jessica Cowan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                      I found it really helpful when doing Lord of the Rings costumes ::shrug::
                      Jess

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                        The other Costume Group I'm affiliated with used it for Lord of the Rings also. But I let someone else do all that research, there was just wat too much to sift through.

                        But then again it's probably just me, I have the same trouble if I try to find something on Ebay. Too much information of the kind I'm NOT looking for can make my head explode sometimes.

                        =^.^=

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                          Check out: http://www.padawansguide.com/

                          She has tons of info on all sorts of Star Wars costumes.

                          If anyone in your group is interested in doing the bounty hunter costumes go here:

                          http://www.thedentedhelmet.com - tons of info & pics.

                          Let me know if you want some more info. I've been an avid SW costumer since 2003.

                          Julie

                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mongrelmuppet" <mongrelmuppet@...> wrote:

                          > Good day to all.
                          >
                          > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.
                          >
                          > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.
                          >
                          > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.
                          >
                          > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
                          >
                          > Cheers!

                        • celefinniel
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                            Try here: http://www.padawansguide.com/

                            Choose your character first and then you can see what the patterns were and other information. Lots of photos and links. Frequently offers suggestions on patterns you can alter.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009
                              Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. I, too, have met some of the community-based Star Wars groups (along with a lot of the Klingon ones) and agree they are usually great groups of people.

                              I'm not the greatest about getting pictures of my projects, but I always try. After all the fuss and bother, one of my other contacts came up with this fantastic site:

                              http://www.jedi-robe.com/home.html

                              as a reply to my request for info on where to buy the things I couldn't easily make (like the light sabers and boots.) They also sell what appears to be a really great and complete replica costume for an incredibly cheap price. My clients have ordered one to see what they look like up close, since I really don't think I can beat the price they are charging here, and it looks as if the quality will meet their needs. I'll likely continue to tinker with this whole concept on my own, though. They still might change their minds (at least one of them wants an outfit in forest green anyway, and one of them has other fitting issues that the pre-made version might not be able to accommodate) and you never know where an experiment might lead you.

                              I'm going to have to watch the latest trilogy of movies again...I don't remember the Amidala with the globes...

                              Thanks again to all who offered help.