Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Star Wars costumes

Expand Messages
  • Jessica Cowan
    Try this website: www.alleycatscratch.com  They research lots of movie costumes. Jess ________________________________ From: mongrelmuppet
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Try this website: www.alleycatscratch.com  They research lots of movie costumes.
      Jess




      ________________________________
      From: mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@...>
      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 3:31:14 PM
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Star Wars costumes





      Good day to all.

      I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.

      I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.

      Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.

      Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.

      Cheers!







      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Kat Hannon
      ...   Sounds like she s already hit that alleycatscratch site. I ve been on that site a few times myself and whereas it a true that there is a ton of
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        >>>>>Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through<<<<<
         
        Sounds like she's already hit that alleycatscratch site. I've been on that site a few times myself and whereas it'a true that there is a ton of information, I find it almost impossible to decipher.


        =^.^=

        "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
        It would improve the man,
        but it would deteriorate the cat."
        Mark Twain
        Please note that Mark Twain specified
        that the cross would improve the MAN,
        no need to include women in that.
        Women and cats are perfect as is.

        --- On Mon, 6/1/09, Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@...> wrote:


        From: Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@...>
        Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Star Wars costumes
        To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:37 PM








        Try this website: www.alleycatscratch .com  They research lots of movie costumes.
        Jess

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        From: mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@ gmail.com>
        To: TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com
        Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 3:31:14 PM
        Subject: [TheCostumersManife sto] Star Wars costumes

        Good day to all.

        I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.

        I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.

        Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.

        Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.

        Cheers!

        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



















        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • mongrelmuppet
        Thank you for the suggestion, but I have indeed found alleycatscratch. I ve used them mainly for LOTR research, which they excel at, but for Star Wars? Not so
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          Thank you for the suggestion, but I have indeed found alleycatscratch. I've used them mainly for LOTR research, which they excel at, but for Star Wars? Not so much.
          I've also hit Padawan's Guide and Amber's Jedi Meditation Center and a few of the forum boards like Jedi Council etc. I just keep thinking there has to be a "golden" source or two out there that I'm missing somehow. I've never had trouble finding good solid info for most of my other sci-fi endeavors, but then, the ones I have attempted have all been things I've been very knowledgeable in myself. And if any of you have ever worked with sci-fi fans, you know they are easily the equivalent of SCA folk--they can get very very picky about "accuracy." (And I mean no disrespect by that. I AM one of those people myself to a certain degree.) My clients themselves are not so worried about this aspect, but they also need to interact with folk who are, and they can't look like they just pulled any old thing off the discount Halloween rack at Wal-mart. Plus, if this thing actually goes as far as they plan to take it, I could end up with a nice little credit for my resume, or at least a bit more word of mouth business.


          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kat Hannon <lotsakats1@...> wrote:
          >
          > >>>>>Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through<<<<<
          >  
          > Sounds like she's already hit that alleycatscratch site. I've been on that site a few times myself and whereas it'a true that there is a ton of information, I find it almost impossible to decipher.
          >
          >
          > =^.^=
          >
          > "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
          > It would improve the man,
          > but it would deteriorate the cat."
          > Mark Twain
          > Please note that Mark Twain specified
          > that the cross would improve the MAN,
          > no need to include women in that.
          > Women and cats are perfect as is.
          >
          > --- On Mon, 6/1/09, Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > From: Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@...>
          > Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Star Wars costumes
          > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:37 PM
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > Try this website: www.alleycatscratch .com  They research lots of movie costumes.
          > Jess
          >
          > ____________ _________ _________ __
          > From: mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@ gmail.com>
          > To: TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com
          > Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 3:31:14 PM
          > Subject: [TheCostumersManife sto] Star Wars costumes
          >
          > Good day to all.
          >
          > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.
          >
          > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.
          >
          > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.
          >
          > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
          >
          > Cheers!
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
        • mongrelmuppet
          Mind? No! Not at all! That s great. Most of my local contacts were of no help with this particular project, being more of the historical re-enactment and less
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Mind? No! Not at all! That's great. Most of my local contacts were of no help with this particular project, being more of the historical re-enactment and less of the futuristic or movie type. A costumer's guild that's into sci-fi could be exactly what I need. I'll look forward to their suggestions. Thanks!

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kat Hannon <lotsakats1@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hi mongrelmuppet, I hope you don't mind but I've forwarded your request to my local Costumers Guild. I think between their members they have attended Every Science Fiction Convention Ever Held *lol* If anyone can offer assistance it would be them..
            >
            > =^.^=
            >
            > "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
            > It would improve the man,
            > but it would deteriorate the cat."
            > Mark Twain
            > Please note that Mark Twain specified
            > that the cross would improve the MAN,
            > no need to include women in that.
            > Women and cats are perfect as is.
            >
            > --- On Mon, 6/1/09, mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@...> wrote:
            >
            >
            > From: mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@...>
            > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Star Wars costumes
            > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 3:31 PM
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > Good day to all.
            >
            > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.
            >
            > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.
            >
            > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.
            >
            > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
            >
            > Cheers!
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >
          • rebecca bunny flower
            This page has some good illustrations and pattern suggestions: http://www.padawansguide.com/robe.shtml I have used some African-type sewing patterns in the
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              This page has some good illustrations and pattern suggestions:
              http://www.padawansguide.com/robe.shtml

              I have used some African-type sewing patterns in the past for Jedi clothing,
              but I think they are long out of print.

              Hope this helps!
              Rebecca


              2009/6/1 mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@...>
              >
              > Good day to all.
              >
              > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me
              > some bits of helpful advice.
              >
              > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star
              > Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of
              > attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world.
              > They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you
              > might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and
              > lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need
              > some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research
              > time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the
              > knowledge base I find I need for this project.
              >
              > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I
              > can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or
              > website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so
              > far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi
              > robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier
              > if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I
              > won't be able to make from scratch as well.
              >
              > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
              >
              > Cheers!
              >
              >


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • mfun2003
              I used Simplicity 5840 View C to make a simple Jedi costume for a young cousin. Since it only came in adult sizes, I had to redraft the pattern to a child s
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                I used Simplicity 5840 View C to make a simple Jedi costume for a young cousin. Since it only came in adult sizes, I had to redraft the pattern to a child's size, but it wasn't too difficult since much of the pattern was based on simple shapes. As I recall, it was a pretty easy pattern to follow. I used a different pant pattern because I already had one in his size.

                Not sure how accurate it is, but it came out fine and my cousin enjoyed wearing it.

                Marge


                > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share?
              • Rebecca
                I posted a reply earlier this morning, and it looks like it didn t go through either! So here it is again, and apologies if it s a double-posting. This page
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  I posted a reply earlier this morning, and it looks like it didn't go through either! So here it is again, and apologies if it's a double-posting.

                  This page has some good illustrations and pattern suggestions: http://www.padawansguide.com/robe.shtml

                  I have used some African-type sewing patterns in the past for Jedi clothing, but I think they are long out of print.

                  Hope this helps!
                  Rebecca


                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mongrelmuppet" <mongrelmuppet@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Good day to all.
                  >
                  > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.
                  >
                  > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.
                  >
                  > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.
                  >
                  > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  >
                • catslave54
                  Do you want to build them? Simplicity has several. View them at http://www.wookieehut.com/art/simplicitypatterns.html The envelopes have details on how to
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Do you want to build them? Simplicity has several. View them at http://www.wookieehut.com/art/simplicitypatterns.html The envelopes have details on how to achieve the look.
                  • mongrelmuppet
                    Yes, I plan to build them. I haven t seen anything pre-made that won t be laughed right out of a convention hall. Or that is within our budget. I had just
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Yes, I plan to build them. I haven't seen anything pre-made that won't be laughed right out of a convention hall. Or that is within our budget.

                      I had just found these, thanks to another kind suggestion from another group member. Unfortunately, they are all out of print for several years and if you can find them on the web, they are crazy expensive. I've got a bid in on the men's pattern on EBAY, but so far, I've been seeing these go for much higher than my clients can afford. From several other suggestions I've received so far, these are a good place to start, but require some modifying to come up to the standard I will need. I'm still open to other suggestions, in case I can't lay my hands on this one.

                      Thank you!

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54" <zimmermanel@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Do you want to build them? Simplicity has several. View them at http://www.wookieehut.com/art/simplicitypatterns.html The envelopes have details on how to achieve the look.
                      >
                    • Jessica Cowan
                      I found it really helpful when doing Lord of the Rings costumes ::shrug:: Jess ________________________________ From: Kat Hannon To:
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I found it really helpful when doing Lord of the Rings costumes ::shrug::
                        Jess




                        ________________________________
                        From: Kat Hannon <lotsakats1@...>
                        To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                        Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 11:54:22 PM
                        Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Star Wars costumes





                        >>>>>Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through<<<<<
                         
                        Sounds like she's already hit that alleycatscratch site. I've been on that site a few times myself and whereas it'a true that there is a ton of information, I find it almost impossible to decipher.

                        =^.^=

                        "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
                        It would improve the man,
                        but it would deteriorate the cat."
                        Mark Twain
                        Please note that Mark Twain specified
                        that the cross would improve the MAN,
                        no need to include women in that.
                        Women and cats are perfect as is.

                        --- On Mon, 6/1/09, Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                        From: Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@ yahoo.com>
                        Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManife sto] Star Wars costumes
                        To: TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com
                        Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:37 PM

                        Try this website: www.alleycatscratch .com  They research lots of movie costumes.
                        Jess

                        ____________ _________ _________ __
                        From: mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@ gmail.com>
                        To: TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com
                        Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 3:31:14 PM
                        Subject: [TheCostumersManife sto] Star Wars costumes

                        Good day to all.

                        I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.

                        I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.

                        Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.

                        Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.

                        Cheers!

                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]







                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • Kat Hannon
                        The other Costume Group I m affiliated with used it for Lord of the Rings also. But I let someone else do all that research, there was just wat too much to
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                        • 0 Attachment
                          The other Costume Group I'm affiliated with used it for Lord of the Rings also. But I let someone else do all that research, there was just wat too much to sift through.
                           
                          But then again it's probably just me, I have the same trouble if I try to find something on Ebay. Too much information of the kind I'm NOT looking for can make my head explode sometimes.
                           
                          =^.^=

                          "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
                          It would improve the man,
                          but it would deteriorate the cat."
                          Mark Twain
                          Please note that Mark Twain specified
                          that the cross would improve the MAN,
                          no need to include women in that.
                          Women and cats are perfect as is.

                          --- On Tue, 6/2/09, Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@...> wrote:


                          From: Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@...>
                          Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Star Wars costumes
                          To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 12:06 PM








                          I found it really helpful when doing Lord of the Rings costumes ::shrug::
                          Jess

                          ____________ _________ _________ __
                          From: Kat Hannon <lotsakats1@yahoo. com>
                          To: TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com
                          Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 11:54:22 PM
                          Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManife sto] Star Wars costumes

                          >>>>>Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through<<<<<
                           
                          Sounds like she's already hit that alleycatscratch site. I've been on that site a few times myself and whereas it'a true that there is a ton of information, I find it almost impossible to decipher.

                          =^.^=

                          "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
                          It would improve the man,
                          but it would deteriorate the cat."
                          Mark Twain
                          Please note that Mark Twain specified
                          that the cross would improve the MAN,
                          no need to include women in that.
                          Women and cats are perfect as is.

                          --- On Mon, 6/1/09, Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                          From: Jessica Cowan <faerie_trash@ yahoo.com>
                          Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManife sto] Star Wars costumes
                          To: TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com
                          Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:37 PM

                          Try this website: www.alleycatscratch .com  They research lots of movie costumes.
                          Jess

                          ____________ _________ _________ __
                          From: mongrelmuppet <mongrelmuppet@ gmail.com>
                          To: TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com
                          Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 3:31:14 PM
                          Subject: [TheCostumersManife sto] Star Wars costumes

                          Good day to all.

                          I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.

                          I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.

                          Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.

                          Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.

                          Cheers!

                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



















                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        • J
                          Check out: http://www.padawansguide.com/ She has tons of info on all sorts of Star Wars costumes. If anyone in your group is interested in doing the bounty
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Check out: http://www.padawansguide.com/

                            She has tons of info on all sorts of Star Wars costumes.

                            If anyone in your group is interested in doing the bounty hunter costumes go here:

                            http://www.thedentedhelmet.com - tons of info & pics.

                            Let me know if you want some more info. I've been an avid SW costumer since 2003.

                            Julie



                            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mongrelmuppet" <mongrelmuppet@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Good day to all.
                            >
                            > I've come out of lurk mode, hoping some kind souls out there can offer me some bits of helpful advice.
                            >
                            > I've been asked to get involved with a group of science fiction/Star Wars/Star Trek fans who are about to start on a year long adventure of attending as many conventions and events as they can all over the world. They will also be making an independent film about their adventures. As you might guess, they want costumes that can stand up to packing, traveling and lots of wearing. Most of their requests, I'm good to go with, but I need some help with the Star Wars stuff. I don't have the luxury of much research time and while I'm a fan, I've never been into it enough to have the knowledge base I find I need for this project.
                            >
                            > Would anyone have personal experience (a favorite pattern used, perhaps? I can alter well, but my drafting skills are not the greatest) or website/group suggestions to share? Most of what I've found on the web so far is incredibly scattered and difficult to sift through. I'm thinking Jedi robes are the best choice for what they need, but it would still be easier if I had better base info. And possibly sources for boots and props that I won't be able to make from scratch as well.
                            >
                            > Thank you in advance for any ideas or leads. I'm most grateful.
                            >
                            > Cheers!
                            >
                          • celefinniel
                            Try here: http://www.padawansguide.com/ Choose your character first and then you can see what the patterns were and other information. Lots of photos and
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 2, 2009
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Try here: http://www.padawansguide.com/

                              Choose your character first and then you can see what the patterns were and other information. Lots of photos and links. Frequently offers suggestions on patterns you can alter.



                              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mongrelmuppet" <mongrelmuppet@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > Yes, I plan to build them. I haven't seen anything pre-made that won't be laughed right out of a convention hall. Or that is within our budget.
                              >
                              > I had just found these, thanks to another kind suggestion from another group member. Unfortunately, they are all out of print for several years and if you can find them on the web, they are crazy expensive. I've got a bid in on the men's pattern on EBAY, but so far, I've been seeing these go for much higher than my clients can afford. From several other suggestions I've received so far, these are a good place to start, but require some modifying to come up to the standard I will need. I'm still open to other suggestions, in case I can't lay my hands on this one.
                              >
                              > Thank you!
                              >
                              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54" <zimmermanel@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Do you want to build them? Simplicity has several. View them at http://www.wookieehut.com/art/simplicitypatterns.html The envelopes have details on how to achieve the look.
                              > >
                              >
                            • mongrelmuppet
                              Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. I, too, have met some of the community-based Star Wars groups (along with a lot of the Klingon ones) and agree
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. I, too, have met some of the community-based Star Wars groups (along with a lot of the Klingon ones) and agree they are usually great groups of people.

                                I'm not the greatest about getting pictures of my projects, but I always try. After all the fuss and bother, one of my other contacts came up with this fantastic site:

                                http://www.jedi-robe.com/home.html

                                as a reply to my request for info on where to buy the things I couldn't easily make (like the light sabers and boots.) They also sell what appears to be a really great and complete replica costume for an incredibly cheap price. My clients have ordered one to see what they look like up close, since I really don't think I can beat the price they are charging here, and it looks as if the quality will meet their needs. I'll likely continue to tinker with this whole concept on my own, though. They still might change their minds (at least one of them wants an outfit in forest green anyway, and one of them has other fitting issues that the pre-made version might not be able to accommodate) and you never know where an experiment might lead you.

                                I'm going to have to watch the latest trilogy of movies again...I don't remember the Amidala with the globes...

                                Thanks again to all who offered help.

                                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Valancy Gilliam <roytoys@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Near as I can tell from my multiple failed attempts at making a Jedi
                                > costume, it's hit and miss on what you use and what works. I mostly used
                                > the McCall and Simplicity "Space Warrior" patterns when they came out
                                > (pattern box is downstairs so I can't give you exact #s but they've been
                                > listed here already anyway) and modified them to be slightly more "movie"
                                > accurate, depending on the movie as well. It seems Obi-Wan especially
                                > seemed to have different garments (especially shoulder area) though there
                                > does seem to be a basic "uniform" look to the costumes.
                                >
                                > 501st is a good group of people (large group of them here in the Kansas City
                                > area) and also hit http://www.rebellegion.com/. They are the rebel side of
                                > the Star Wars costuming setup, including Jedi. They had some links on their
                                > costuming area I hadn't seen before (aside from the usual padawan's guide,
                                > etc.) as well as their own personal recommendations.
                                >
                                > It is very confusing, I agree, to find the medium between the people that
                                > want an EXACT replica (I wish! but I don't have that kind of time, patience
                                > or cash flow EVER to bother with it) and the cheap crap used for the
                                > Halloween costumes in the fall. I too agree that a nice, durable costume,
                                > easy to care for, sturdy but fairly accurate is the idea costume. I like a
                                > little variety in what I wear, though I do admit...one day I will badger
                                > someone into making that Queen Amidala costume that has the light up
                                > globes...only mine won't have to be plugged into the wall to light up. LOL!
                                >
                                > Good luck and I hope you'll post some pictures of your finished work!
                                >
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.