Re: "costume" vs "clothing"

  • Julia Trimarco
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2009
      --- In TheCostumersManifes to@yahoogroups. com, "catslave54"
      <zimmermanel@ ...> wrote:
      > My husband wants to know why they call it a costume database and not a
      > clothing database. I didn't have a good response. If it is old, it's a
      > costume?? If it's new, it's clothing?? Who decides this, anyway?

      Since a database is a modern library, my guess is that they go by the library model. Under the dewy decimal system, cosutmes fall under the category of anthropology and culture. In the study of anthropology, the word costume is used as a general term referring to the collection of items worn or carried on the person at the same time. The word clothing leaves out hats or headresses, masks, shoes, bags, and other accessories, and all other strange items somehow attached to the body, and therefore isn't as useful as a general term to anthropology. Costume referrs to the entire look, even including body paint, tatoos and other body modification, hair, and makeup.
      Also, until relatively recently (until approximately the last 3/4 of the 20th century) "costume" was still in fairly general use. People would refer to a ladies' outfit for a special occasion (to go to the opera, the theatre) as her costume.

      -Julia