Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] design fees

  • Cheryl McCarron
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
      Sylvia,
      if you go to the United Scenic Artist's website, they have charts based on the number of costumes, size of house, etc that you can use for the basis of your fee. They also have sample contracts. You don't have to be a U.S.A. member to access these areas.

      Cheryl McCarron
      NYC Fabric Finder

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
        I did go to their website and found fees for different type houses,
        but no such charts. Do you know where they are?

        Sylvia

      • lanorte1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
          When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in our shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of clothing over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from some larger costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd love to find something like this for my shop now - so many of the college students here have no idea of what is appropriate for different time periods, and that would at least be a place to start and a nice quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find something like this??

          Thanks

          Donna

        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
            I was looking for just such a timeline myself a couple years back and
            never found one, so if anyone does, please reply to the whole group.

            Sylvia

          • lanorte1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
              If I don't have any luck finding one, maybe this can be an extra credit project for a grad student.? ;-)

              Donna

              I was looking for just such a timeline myself a couple years back and
              never found one, so if anyone does, please reply to the whole group.

              Sylvia

              On Apr 9, 2009, at 9:40 AM, lanorte1@... wrote:

              > When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in
              > our shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of
              > clothing over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from
              > some larger costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd
              > love to find something like this for my shop now - so many of the
              > college students here have no idea of what is appropriate for
              > different time periods, and that would at least be a place to start
              > and a nice quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find
              > something like this??
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Donna

            • cloakmakerusa
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
                I have a double-sided one from time-life - sort of a world overview. The next things would be 1066 to 1996 by Peacock.

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

                > When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in our shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of clothing over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from some larger costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd love to find something like this for my shop now - so many of the college students here have no idea of what is appropriate for different time periods, and that would at least be a place to start and a nice quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find something like this??
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Donna

              • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
                  A book: "The Costume Timeline" by Claudia Muller.

                  One on Ebay:
                  <http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Costume-Timeline-Theater-Production-Fashion-Book_W0QQitemZ260376935319QQcmdZViewItemQQ_pidZ1238317QQ_mediaitemZ1QQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=%257B%2522Page%2522%253A%2522%252F_W0QQ_asetZ2QQ_pcategidZ378QQ_pcatidZ4QQ_pidZ1238317QQ_rptypeZ4295QQ_tabZ2%2522%257D&_trksid=p4295.c0.m312&_trkparms=240%3A1318>

                  --or--

                  http://tinyurl.com/cv59xx

                  Amazon shows them anywhere from $12 to $150. I put in the Ebay
                  listing as it has a good photo of the insides. It covers many areas
                  of the world, not just Europe. It covers 5000 years, as an overview
                  to give ideas of silhouette, etc.

                  Sandy

                  At 10:40 AM 4/9/2009, you wrote:

                  >When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in our
                  >shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of clothing
                  >over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from some larger
                  >costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd love to find
                  >something like this for my shop now - so many of the college
                  >students here have no idea of what is appropriate for different time
                  >periods, and that would at least be a place to start and a nice
                  >quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find something like this??
                  >
                  >Thanks
                  >
                  >Donna

                  "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                  Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                  Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                  Achemdro'hm
                  "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                  -- C. Y. 4971

                  Andromeda
                • cloakmakerusa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 10, 2009
                    Yes - that's the one I have! The difficulty with this one is that it is double sided, so to hang it as a poster in a classroom , you would need to photocopy one side.

                    Dina

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

                    > A book: "The Costume Timeline" by Claudia Muller.
                    >
                    > One on Ebay:
                    > <http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Costume-Timeline-Theater-Production-Fashion-Book_W0QQitemZ260376935319QQcmdZViewItemQQ_pidZ1238317QQ_mediaitemZ1QQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=%257B%2522Page%2522%253A%2522%252F_W0QQ_asetZ2QQ_pcategidZ378QQ_pcatidZ4QQ_pidZ1238317QQ_rptypeZ4295QQ_tabZ2%2522%257D&_trksid=p4295.c0.m312&_trkparms=240%3A1318>
                    >
                    > --or--
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/cv59xx
                    >
                    > Amazon shows them anywhere from $12 to $150. I put in the Ebay
                    > listing as it has a good photo of the insides. It covers many areas
                    > of the world, not just Europe. It covers 5000 years, as an overview
                    > to give ideas of silhouette, etc.
                    >
                    > Sandy
                    >
                    > At 10:40 AM 4/9/2009, you wrote:
                    >

                    > >When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in our
                    > >shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of clothing
                    > >over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from some larger
                    > >costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd love to find
                    > >something like this for my shop now - so many of the college
                    > >students here have no idea of what is appropriate for different time
                    > >periods, and that would at least be a place to start and a nice
                    > >quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find something like this??
                    > >
                    > >Thanks
                    > >
                    > >Donna
                    > >

                    > "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                    > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                    > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly -
                    > Why They Are Simply Doomed."
                    >
                    > Achemdro'hm
                    > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                    > -- C. Y. 4971
                    >
                    > Andromeda

                  • Cheryl McCarron
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 27, 2009
                      Hi Sylvia,
                      sorry I have been so long in responding. It has been a hectic two weeks - opened two shows and have another opening in two weeks.

                      If you go under the contracts tab, there are various options to select based on the size & location of the theatre. When you open each of those, they have charts that give you rates based on number of costumes and size of house.
                      http://www.usa829.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=203

                      Hope this is helpful for future negotiations.

                      Cheryl McCarron
                      NYC Fabric Finder