Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Offer to design new musical

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
      Thanks, Curtis. I totally agree. This sounds like a great project,
      but the producer hasn't a clue about costuming. He gave me a
      costume plot that I think was put together by a friend who owns a
      costume rental store in Denver. She has done a lot of small theatre
      shows in the area, but I don't think she's ever worked in a regional
      theatre or anywhere that has a budget over $500. Her plot allocated
      $800 for the design fee, based on 40 hours of work. I asked for 6
      grand, based on 2.5 months of work. She goes into a lot of detail
      about how much materials and labor would cost for each costume, but
      her labor estimates are way under, in my opinion, unless you're
      thinking of community theatre costumes, and I didn't get the
      impression that's what the producer wanted. When I emailed him
      about this, he admitted he hadn't even looked at the plot.

      I think I will send him your emails and then see what he wants to
      do. I probably will take a pass. I'm not into ruining my health
      and still not even being able to pay my bills in the process.