Repairing Tulle

  • themadcouture2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2009
      How would one go about trying to fix a rip in tulle? Maybe I should say, something like a seam, that you don't want to show?

      Thanks for any help on this at all.

      Judy
    • sonai1121
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "themadcouture2001" <THEMADCouture@...> wrote:

        > How would one go about trying to fix a rip in tulle? Maybe I should say, something like a seam, that you don't want to show?
        >
        > Thanks for any help on this at all.
        >
        > Judy

        I would use a clear glue....
      • sonai1121
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "themadcouture2001" <THEMADCouture@...> wrote:

          > How would one go about trying to fix a rip in tulle? Maybe I should say, something like a seam, that you don't want to show?
          >
          > Thanks for any help on this at all.
          >
          > Judy

          how about nylon thread...
        • Wendy Starn
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
            I work with the local non-profit ballet.  We generally butt the edges and overcast stitch the tears back together.  For an underlayer, matching thread usually gets used (volunteer labor).  For an outer layer, you can make the tear pretty much vanish if you use quilters' invisible nylon thread.  It's harder to sew with, like sewing with a fine strand of hair, and you probably need a needle-threader to get it in the needle.

            Wendy L Starn
            Alexandria, Louisiana
            http://public.fotki.com/wlstarn/
            http://splendiferousfiber.blogspot.com/
            SplendiferousFiber.etsy.com

          • Kat Hannon
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
              I've found that the best way to do that is to lay the pieces on top of each other and hand sew them with itty bitty stitches. A bit more time consuming, but it's less noticeable then if I put them together like a regular seam.

              =^.^=

              "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
              It would improve the man,
              but it would deteriorate the cat."
              Mark Twain
              Please note that Mark Twain specified
              that the cross would improve the MAN,
              no need to include women in that.
              Women and cats are perfect as is.

              How would one go about trying to fix a rip in tulle? Maybe I should say, something like a seam, that you don't want to show?

              Thanks for any help on this at all.

              Judy

            • Curtis
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
                Is this an outer layer of a garment, or something that is kind of camouflaged by other layers over/around it? I have had pretty good luck in lining up the edges of the rip and stitching back and forth over them with thread in a matching color (so it looks like a really wide zig-zag mending stitch)...a trick I picked up from military clothing bought on surplus clearance, actually. But that has always been on a petticoat layer, where there was something to kind of help hide the extra thread (it also works if you're manding a piece in a very full ruffle or multiple ruffles, as the fullness of the fabric helps conceal the stitching.)

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "themadcouture2001" <THEMADCouture@...> wrote:

                > How would one go about trying to fix a rip in tulle? Maybe I should say, something like a seam, that you don't want to show?
                >
                > Thanks for any help on this at all.
                >
                > Judy

              • themadcouture2001
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
                  Actually it's a vintage bride dress for a doll. The upper layer is a sheer lace with an embroidered design at the bottom, and the tulle layer (that is somewhat repaired) is right under it. Apparently on this particular dress, the bottom lace design must have been torn, cause someone cut it off about 4" below the waist line, and top stitched another skirt on it. It looks terrible with that going around the skirt. I was hoping to be able to work french lace stitching over it, but I'm not sure, as there really isn't much to hold onto. I might try your idea of zig zag on a scrap and see what happens.

                  Thanks for your advice. I think I like it.

                  Judy

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@...> wrote:

                  > Is this an outer layer of a garment, or something that is kind of camouflaged by other layers over/around it? I have had pretty good luck in lining up the edges of the rip and stitching back and forth over them with thread in a matching color (so it looks like a really wide zig-zag mending stitch)...a trick I picked up from military clothing bought on surplus clearance, actually. But that has always been on a petticoat layer, where there was something to kind of help hide the extra thread (it also works if you're manding a piece in a very full ruffle or multiple ruffles, as the fullness of the fabric helps conceal the stitching.)
                  >
                  > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "themadcouture2001" <THEMADCouture@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > How would one go about trying to fix a rip in tulle? Maybe I should say, something like a seam, that you don't want to show?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for any help on this at all.
                  > >
                  > > Judy

                • themadcouture2001
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
                    Thanks to all those who took the time to write to me about the "tulle" problem both on the board and personally. I didn't end up getting the dress in the auction, cause my friend wanted it really bad, so I let her bid, and told her I would fix it for her. Well, she didn't bid high enough, and neither of us got it. But I still find this has been very educational for me.

                    Thanks again, everyone! I'll keep restoring my dolls!

                    Judy