design fees

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2009
      This is still concerning the new musical I've been asked to design.
      I'm trying to figure out what sort of fee to request. Does anyone
      here design for regional theatre? I'm wondering what they get for
      large shows. I did one very small regional theatre production
      several years ago. The going union rate was $3000. I don't know
      if that fee varies depending on the size of the show and if it has
      gone up since.

      Any input anyone?

      Sylvia R
    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2009
        i work for regional theatre as a costumer...NON UNION.pay for visiting designers is $1000.since i'm the shop supervisor...and resident designer...i get half that to design (therefore i dont accept the larger shows, and have my theatre farm them out to the folks that will get what the task is actually worth), and get paid seperately to manage the shop.that's in western north carolina.
        blessings,paula mcwhirter-buck

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
          Sylvia,
          if you go to the United Scenic Artist's website, they have charts based on the number of costumes, size of house, etc that you can use for the basis of your fee. They also have sample contracts. You don't have to be a U.S.A. member to access these areas.

          Cheryl McCarron
          NYC Fabric Finder

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
            I did go to their website and found fees for different type houses,
            but no such charts. Do you know where they are?

            Sylvia

          • lanorte1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
              When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in our shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of clothing over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from some larger costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd love to find something like this for my shop now - so many of the college students here have no idea of what is appropriate for different time periods, and that would at least be a place to start and a nice quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find something like this??

              Thanks

              Donna

            • Sylvia Rognstad
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
                I was looking for just such a timeline myself a couple years back and
                never found one, so if anyone does, please reply to the whole group.

                Sylvia

              • lanorte1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
                  If I don't have any luck finding one, maybe this can be an extra credit project for a grad student.? ;-)

                  Donna

                  I was looking for just such a timeline myself a couple years back and
                  never found one, so if anyone does, please reply to the whole group.

                  Sylvia

                  On Apr 9, 2009, at 9:40 AM, lanorte1@... wrote:

                  > When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in
                  > our shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of
                  > clothing over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from
                  > some larger costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd
                  > love to find something like this for my shop now - so many of the
                  > college students here have no idea of what is appropriate for
                  > different time periods, and that would at least be a place to start
                  > and a nice quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find
                  > something like this??
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Donna

                • cloakmakerusa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
                    I have a double-sided one from time-life - sort of a world overview. The next things would be 1066 to 1996 by Peacock.

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, lanorte1@... wrote:

                    > When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in our shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of clothing over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from some larger costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd love to find something like this for my shop now - so many of the college students here have no idea of what is appropriate for different time periods, and that would at least be a place to start and a nice quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find something like this??
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Donna

                  • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 9, 2009
                      A book: "The Costume Timeline" by Claudia Muller.

                      One on Ebay:
                      <http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Costume-Timeline-Theater-Production-Fashion-Book_W0QQitemZ260376935319QQcmdZViewItemQQ_pidZ1238317QQ_mediaitemZ1QQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=%257B%2522Page%2522%253A%2522%252F_W0QQ_asetZ2QQ_pcategidZ378QQ_pcatidZ4QQ_pidZ1238317QQ_rptypeZ4295QQ_tabZ2%2522%257D&_trksid=p4295.c0.m312&_trkparms=240%3A1318>

                      --or--

                      http://tinyurl.com/cv59xx

                      Amazon shows them anywhere from $12 to $150. I put in the Ebay
                      listing as it has a good photo of the insides. It covers many areas
                      of the world, not just Europe. It covers 5000 years, as an overview
                      to give ideas of silhouette, etc.

                      Sandy

                      At 10:40 AM 4/9/2009, you wrote:

                      >When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in our
                      >shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of clothing
                      >over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from some larger
                      >costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd love to find
                      >something like this for my shop now - so many of the college
                      >students here have no idea of what is appropriate for different time
                      >periods, and that would at least be a place to start and a nice
                      >quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find something like this??
                      >
                      >Thanks
                      >
                      >Donna

                      "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                      Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                      Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                      Achemdro'hm
                      "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                      -- C. Y. 4971

                      Andromeda
                    • cloakmakerusa
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 10, 2009
                        Yes - that's the one I have! The difficulty with this one is that it is double sided, so to hang it as a poster in a classroom , you would need to photocopy one side.

                        Dina

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

                        > A book: "The Costume Timeline" by Claudia Muller.
                        >
                        > One on Ebay:
                        > <http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Costume-Timeline-Theater-Production-Fashion-Book_W0QQitemZ260376935319QQcmdZViewItemQQ_pidZ1238317QQ_mediaitemZ1QQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=%257B%2522Page%2522%253A%2522%252F_W0QQ_asetZ2QQ_pcategidZ378QQ_pcatidZ4QQ_pidZ1238317QQ_rptypeZ4295QQ_tabZ2%2522%257D&_trksid=p4295.c0.m312&_trkparms=240%3A1318>
                        >
                        > --or--
                        >
                        > http://tinyurl.com/cv59xx
                        >
                        > Amazon shows them anywhere from $12 to $150. I put in the Ebay
                        > listing as it has a good photo of the insides. It covers many areas
                        > of the world, not just Europe. It covers 5000 years, as an overview
                        > to give ideas of silhouette, etc.
                        >
                        > Sandy
                        >
                        > At 10:40 AM 4/9/2009, you wrote:
                        >

                        > >When I was in undergrad school (oh so many years ago), we had in our
                        > >shop a poster with a timeline of clothing silhouettes of clothing
                        > >over a several hundred year span.? I believe it was from some larger
                        > >costume rental shop, but can't remember which one.? I'd love to find
                        > >something like this for my shop now - so many of the college
                        > >students here have no idea of what is appropriate for different time
                        > >periods, and that would at least be a place to start and a nice
                        > >quick reference.? Does anyone know where I can find something like this??
                        > >
                        > >Thanks
                        > >
                        > >Donna
                        > >

                        > "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                        > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                        > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly -
                        > Why They Are Simply Doomed."
                        >
                        > Achemdro'hm
                        > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                        > -- C. Y. 4971
                        >
                        > Andromeda

                      • Cheryl McCarron
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 27, 2009
                          Hi Sylvia,
                          sorry I have been so long in responding. It has been a hectic two weeks - opened two shows and have another opening in two weeks.

                          If you go under the contracts tab, there are various options to select based on the size & location of the theatre. When you open each of those, they have charts that give you rates based on number of costumes and size of house.
                          http://www.usa829.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=203

                          Hope this is helpful for future negotiations.

                          Cheryl McCarron
                          NYC Fabric Finder