Re: New Member with question

  • Don McCunn
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3 9:13 AM
      Wolfie,

      That is from Carl Kohler's "A History of Costume." I have an early 1963 edition of his book which is in black and white. In my edition that cloak is Fig. 330 on page 266.

      I just checked Amazon which has kept this book in print. The illustration you are interest in is still in the List of Illustrations. If you use Amazon's "Look Inside" feature and scroll to the description in the List of Illustrations, it gives the dimensions of the cape.

      http://www.amazon.com/History-Costume-Carl-Kohler/dp/0486210308/

      I see from the caption that the cape is from the Nurnberg Museum in Germany. I see they have a forthcoming website in English. But if you speak German, you might be able to find more on the cape there.

      http://www.gnm.de/index_en.html

      Best,
      Don McCunn
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/How-to-Make-Sewing-Patterns/

      > I am in love with this cloak Tara has posted on the Costumer Manifesto (well, considering I LIVE on the site, it shouldn't be a shock).
      >
      > http://www.costumes.org/history/kohler/328.jpg
      >
      > However, when I first found this cloak I *swear* I found a color version of this and that it was blue with the border trim embroidery a gold thread. Does anyone know what book/tract this is from? I cannot find any other reference on where this was taken. From the caption, it's likely an older publication, 1940s-1960s. Also, it's Germanic from the language. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I would dearly LOVE to create it, right down to the embroidery. The edging looks either frayed (likely) or perhaps a fur trimming? And what is the lining?
      >
      > If anyone can help with this I would be SO grateful. I am now off to peruse my books to decide what to put on my Greek chiton!
      >
      > Wolfie

    • Valancy Gilliam
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6 9:13 PM
        LOL Thank you everyone for the help! Wow! While I was looking to 'recreate'
        the cloak, I wasn't going to go for an exact look. (grin) I loved the
        embroidery and the cut of the cloak and such. However, as a holder of a
        bachelors honors in history, the information has not gone to waste. >:) I
        do believe I will give this book a look, though, Don, I thank you!

        I'm enjoying the convos on the list as well. Hope everyone has a good
        upcoming holiday weekend!

        Wolfie