  • Julia Trimarco
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27 11:48 AM
      I dressed a production of Sweeney Todd where I had to wash out the bloody costumes immediately after the actors got out of them at the end of the show. We used Reel Blood (commercially available by the gallon) and mixed it with liquid dish soap. The blood came out of the white shirts and collars fine, and I didn't have to stay more than 15 minutes late to clean them (of course we had enough crew members to collect and bring me the items, and take care of other post-show duties, so I only had to deal with blood). The soap content prevents the blood from drying in the clothes while they wait a few minutes to be cleaned.
      The one thing to keep in mind with this solution is that dish soap makes the blood even more slippery and a real tripping hazard. If you can work in some stage action by one of the chorus members or smaller characters where they sweep the stage, that is the best way (the sooner you get it up the better - perhaps some motivated business with a Skid Row homeless person or drunk during the scene shift).

      does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with getting stage blood out of white lab coats, that can be executed by theatre students that cant seem to pick their costumes up off the floor?
      maybe a giant bottle of OXY CLEAN back stage?