Re:serger

  • Anne Redish
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 5:41 AM
      Does anyone have tales, good or bad, about Huskylock 936? Is $800 a
      good deal for a rarely used one? Again, small college type setting ..
      likely to be used (at least threaded) mostly by me, and used
      regularly for about two periods of 6 weeks over the year. Not heavy
      or all day use either. I need to follow up quickly.. or not.

      Anne Redish
      Department of Drama,
      Queen's University,
      Kingston, Ontario
      613-533-6000 x75359
      483-3245 cell
      ar11@...
    • sonai1121
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2 7:52 AM
        I have been sewing since my children were 2 and 6 to make some extra $
        since I soon became a single mom...It has been really good to me
        (financially) and for me(therapeutic). I have a singer serger that i'm
        afraid is going to "die" soon...I do alot of special ocassion dresses
        and costumes(for the theatre). I would like to hear some
        recommendations for a very reliable, portable serger...thanks soo much.
        Sonia
      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2 10:28 AM
          I haven't used their sergers, but I've had the opportunity to work
          with a couple of different Viking sewing machines throughout the
          years, and if their quality is representative, then I'd say you've got
          a line on a very good machine. Looking at their information about it
          available online, it's probably more than you actually need for a
          costume shop...but if your shop is like most of them I've worked in,
          you'll find a use for all the extra features if you work with it long
          enough *grin*...

          Considering the Singer I got (which has none of the extras that
          machine does, it's just a straight-up 4-thread serger with no
          decorative stitch options) was just under $400, I'd say if you've got
          the available funds for it, it's a good price, especially for
          lightly-used.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Anne Redish <ar11@...>
          wrote:

          > Does anyone have tales, good or bad, about Huskylock 936? Is $800 a
          > good deal for a rarely used one?
        • Maureen Brown
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2 12:19 PM
            I have a Juki that I'm very happy with; I think it was called Pearl. I got
            it here:

            http://www.sewvacdirect.com/juki_mo-654de_fs_pearl_series_serger_with_workbook_and_instructional_dvd.html
            I've had it for 3 years ago and have been really happy with it.

            Maureen

            On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:52 AM, sonai1121 <sonai1121@...> wrote:

            > I have been sewing since my children were 2 and 6 to make some extra $
            > since I soon became a single mom...It has been really good to me
            > (financially) and for me(therapeutic). I have a singer serger that i'm
            > afraid is going to "die" soon...I do alot of special ocassion dresses
            > and costumes(for the theatre). I would like to hear some
            > recommendations for a very reliable, portable serger...thanks soo much.
            > Sonia

          • Costume Gallery
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2 12:52 PM
              I have 2 Huskylocks from the 1980's. I used them when I first opened
              my costume shop. As soon as I could I purchased 5 thread industrial
              serger. The industrials are worth every penny I spent, which was
              about 900.00 used. I agree most shops don't need the extras.

              I use my Huskylocks at home. I think shop sewing is too hard on
              them and the timing. I have been using domestic Viking machines since
              the late 70's. I wouldn't use any thing else.

              Joy Galbraith
              President
              Costume Gallery-Newport, LLC
              638 Monmouth St.
              Newport, KY 41071
              costumegallery@...

              On Mar 2, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Curtis wrote:

              > I haven't used their sergers, but I've had the opportunity to work
              > with a couple of different Viking sewing machines throughout the
              > years, and if their quality is representative, then I'd say you've got
              > a line on a very good machine. Looking at their information about it
              > available online, it's probably more than you actually need for a
              > costume shop...but if your shop is like most of them I've worked in,
              > you'll find a use for all the extra features if you work with it long
              > enough *grin*...
              >
              > Considering the Singer I got (which has none of the extras that
              > machine does, it's just a straight-up 4-thread serger with no
              > decorative stitch options) was just under $400, I'd say if you've got
              > the available funds for it, it's a good price, especially for
              > lightly-used.
              >
              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Anne Redish <ar11@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone have tales, good or bad, about Huskylock 936? Is $800 a
              > > good deal for a rarely used one?

            • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2 9:21 PM
                I have a 20 yr old (plus or minus a couple) White 4-thread
                serger. For basic serging, I love it. It's heavy, so it doesn't
                need the suction cup feet to keep it from dancing around. Yes, this
                makes it a little less portable, but oh, well. It doesn't do rolled
                hems very well, though, as you have to change feet, change plate, and
                mess with the tensions for about an hour to change over, then the
                same to change back. Not worth the hassle - I just do them on the
                reg. sewing machine. For plain serging, though, it's fast, sturdy,
                and has only needed 1 major repair (my fault - abusing it) and a
                couple of tuneups over the years.

                Sandy

                At 02:19 PM 3/2/2009, you wrote:

                >I have a Juki that I'm very happy with; I think it was called Pearl. I got
                >it here:
                >
                ><http://www.sewvacdirect.com/juki_mo-654de_fs_pearl_series_serger_with_workbook_and_instructional_dvd.html>http://www.sewvacdirect.com/juki_mo-654de_fs_pearl_series_serger_with_workbook_and_instructional_dvd.html
                >I've had it for 3 years ago and have been really happy with it.
                >
                >Maureen
                >
                >On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:52 AM, sonai1121
                ><<mailto:sonai1121%40yahoo.com>sonai1121@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I have been sewing since my children were 2 and 6 to make some extra $
                > > since I soon became a single mom...It has been really good to me
                > > (financially) and for me(therapeutic). I have a singer serger that i'm
                > > afraid is going to "die" soon...I do alot of special ocassion dresses
                > > and costumes(for the theatre). I would like to hear some
                > > recommendations for a very reliable, portable serger...thanks soo much.
                > > Sonia

                "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                Achemdro'hm
                "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                -- C. Y. 4971

                Andromeda
              • Laura Ulak
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3 7:50 AM
                  I use a Babylock, which has the automatic threading system.  I love it and it makes rethreading so much faster.  I have really abused the poor thing in terms of constant sewing and it has held up very well.  I would recommend them.

                  Laura

                • nycfabricfinder
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5 7:25 AM
                    We have two Kenmore 3/4 thread sergers in the university shop I manage. We love them. The students can easily thread them and they have stood up to heavy usuage with just annual maintenance.

                    -Cheryl McCarron
                  • sonai1121
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5 8:15 AM
                      Thanks for your response... I will look for one...mine is dying :(