Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] mask project

  • stephch2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2009
      During the Mardi gras season, we take the domino masks or something similar and glue felt to the back.? It can then be trimmed.? This makes it easy on the face.? Another thing we do is to get some inexpensive sunglasses (like those rubber ones from Oriental Trading), pop out the lenses and glue the frame to the back of the mask.? With these in place it will hold even the heaviest masks.? Definitely cut the eye holes larger.? Much safer vision wise and more comfortable to the eye.
      Stephch2

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2009
        how about forming teams-
        an older kid with a younger kid-
        the younger kid gets the mask fit to him-
        the olderkid soes some of the more complicated things-

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"
        <dabehrens@...> wrote:

        > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
        > <sylvia@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've been asked to give a mask-making workshop for a group of
        > kids,
        > > possibly ages 10 to 18. Does anyone have a good idea that would
        > be
        > > able to span that age group, i.e., not be too difficult for the
        > > younger ones but not too easy for the older?
        > >
        > > Sylvia R
        > >

        > I highly recommend any of the mask-making books by Michael Grater:
        > http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mask-Making-Michael-
        > Grater/dp/0486247120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235830969&sr=1-
        1

        > I've made the rat mask with even younger children for a production
        of
        > The Pied Piper. For the younger kids, I had the basic shape pre-cut
        > for them and they painted it and added raffia whiskers. The older
        > kids can certainly manage all the cutting themselves, but it helps
        > have the shape traced first. It all depends on their age, skill
        > level, and time alloted for the projects. The possibilities are
        > endless!
        >
        > I've also made many of the animal variations for Noah's Ark animals
        > in a production of Children of Eden.
        >
        > I'd be happy to send you photos of the finished products, if you're
        > interested.
        >
        > Ann

      • fossil73
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
          Not to be self serving...but you might want to consider using the heat
          activated materials WONDERFLEX and or FOSSHAPE for mask making.
          Perhaps not the right medium for the younger kids since a heat source
          or hot water required, but these materials might be good for the older
          teenagers with proper supervision. If anyone has questions or wants
          some free swatches to experiment with just email me
          b.jeffrey@... with a regular mailing address.
          Brian
          The Thermoman of Dazian
          www.dazian.com